Video issues?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Boing
Novice

Video issues?

Post by Boing »

I'm running with component video of a conex box to a 3x4 (4x3?) digital monitor (obviously with component ins). I'm having some weirdness which I will try to explain... :)

First - everything looked great off the original stardust install. I've since managed to update everything to current... so...

a) I'm using the very most recent of everything.... booting off of Xromwell in an e: install.
b) Given the three options for xbvset I get...
1) Composite - 800x600 and 640x480 both work BUT they are shifted down to the bottom half of the screen when it X runs. Things look - ok sort of - when it's in console mode. A bit squished but I think I can muddle with the H and V to fix that... no amount of muddleing seems to move the X screen up from the bottom half of the screen.
2) VGA and HDTV modes all basically work but they go over the edges of the screen in all modes. If this was a normal monitor I'd just make it squash things a bit and I wouldn't be writing this... but... it's not.

so..... wassup with that? :)

or... even better can someone give me a brief run through on what I need to change to just mess with things like I'm used to doing - by hacking at the XF86config file. I screw around with it but it doesn't seem to make any difference at all....

a possible red herring....

If I boot off of the 'original' xbe the loader fits on the screen (but is a bit smaller than it used to be). On the 'new' HDTV ready xbe the loader is about as much over the edges of the screen as is X when it runs.

I'm happy to (in fact prefer to) mess with settings in an effort to explode my big expensive TV but I can't really figure out what I can change that has any impact.

help!

Boing! :)
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

btw - I'm running NTSC - haven't tried the PAL modes for what should be obvious reasons (I'm in the US).
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You cant easily fix overscan in HDTV unless you can resize your monitor.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

Since I can't change anything on the TV what could I play with that wouldn't be 'easy'? :) I'm happy to hack around. What's the scoop with the XF86config files? They don't seem to do what they usually do. Is this stuff hard coded somewhere? Where? I promise once I figure out how to get things working I'll post something usefull... :)

Boing!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The XF86Config files do still have an effect, but a lot of it is controlled by the framebuffer, and to edit that, you need to look inside /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/xbox (You can also probably resize HDTV from here).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Dark_TB
Novice

Post by Dark_TB »

Can't he change voc and hoc in the linuxboot.cfg? It worked for me when I wanted 1024x768 on my TV (Not HDTV).
When I ran xbvset I chosed HDTV...
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

see viewtopic.php?p=5081#5081
Worked for me... :)

Boing