LVM support for rootfs

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
tutmann

LVM support for rootfs

Post by tutmann »

This would enable us to dynamically add and remove drive-space to the root-fs. Default could be one physical volume (/dev/loop0). But one could easily create another loopback device (up to fatx-limit of 4GB) and add it to the logical-rootfs-volume.
LVM isn't supposed to be very resource-hungry.
What to you folks think?

Tutmann
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I reckon it's a tricky thing to implement, especially on your system partition, and it would be an unecessary overhead for the majority of people who are happy with their 3GB or don't mind simply mounting new filesystems in the right places.

However it is a nice idea, I think you should try it out and let everyone else know how you got on and what kind of a performance hit you took.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tutmann

How to do?

Post by tutmann »

I'm afraid I don't know enough about gentoox (and linux in general) boot process. Where is defined which device is to be mounted as root-fs? Does all of this happen inside initrd.gz ?

Tutmann
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

on a PC based linux system the filesystem root is defined in the bootloader (lilo or grub) with gentoox the bootloader is replaced by the initrd so that is what points out the root system. Once the root system is located the drives are mounted as laid out in /etc/fstab
To get LVM going you'll have to recompile your kernel with the LVM option enabled.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?