Mechinstaller

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
daPlumber
Linux User

Mechinstaller

Post by daPlumber »

For that fresh, unhacked hardware feeling.

I transplanted Gentoox after using the Ed's Debian Live system and it otherwise runs fine. I've also uploade the Mechinstaller game saves to the Action Replay site, so no hardware hacking required at all. The PSO USB adapter works great as well.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Erm rephrase. Does this mean you replace Ed's bootloader to Gentoox Bootloader? Also links would be nice. Cheers if you could elberate for me.
daPlumber
Linux User

Post by daPlumber »

In short: No.

Since Gentoox and Ed's use much the same kernel, the bootloaders are compatible. I simply changed the boot.cfg entries to gentoox's defaults. Sorry, but I'm not about to write a "HOWTO" on this, it's messy and I don't have the time. For the experienced hacker, knowing what was done should be enough. Hopefully with the time and dedication I lack to do a proper port or a clean "HOWTO".

I made extensive use of the "live" Ed's system to do the modifications. But essentially I did the Ed's install and left the partition table and filesystem/swap in place, left the live system running, ftp'ed the gentoox filesystem file extrated from the iso to the E, drive. Mounted the gentoox filesystem, deleted the files in the hda2 partition, copied all the files from the gentoox loopback root file (I used home) across, changed the /etc/fstab entries, chaged the boot.cfg settings, rebooted, deleted the gentoox root loopback file.

As a side note: the "home" version is *very* tight in a 1.6GB hda2 with a 256MB swap, so tight that emerge on most things fails. I got around this by deleting some things I didn't need/want and also by moving some of the "hardly ever used" stuff to loopbacks in the "E:" fatx.

I haven't benchmarked to see if gentoox runs faster with a native rather than loopback swap and root, but that's usually the case.

Ed's now has the option to install to "F:" now too, so you might want o experiment with that.
RalfoX

Post by RalfoX »

I got this running also, I had to modify the initrd.gz also. But I runs just fine. I have all the files in e:/debian/ still.
I will post my initrd.gz if people are interested..
guerre

A tutorial, please!

Post by guerre »

I have installed Xebian with the MechInstaller, and I would like to change to Gentoox, but a technological morom like me needs more detailed instructions. Could anybody make a tutorial?

Thanks in advance
kshade

Post by kshade »

RalfoX wrote:I will post my initrd.gz if people are interested..
Well, I'm interested :)
psychic spies from redmond try to steal your mind's elation