hda native with f:(done) & help increasing fb mem.

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
chipsugar

hda native with f:(done) & help increasing fb mem.

Post by chipsugar »

The first request would allow people to have both a native install with a dos partition table and a fatx f: partition with ozpaulb's partition table co-exist. I would like the following to be included in the install script if possible.

This can be set up quite simply by putting appending hda=remap to one of the linuxboot.cfg entries and editing the install script to let the user choose the starting and finishing sectors for the native linux partitions. The fatx f: partition end sector number could be found using a tool like xbpartitioner. As the hda=remap option decreases every sector number by one (sector 1 becomes 0, sector 2 becomes 1 etc and sector 0 is ignored) the end sector for the f: partition can be re-entered. This makes the c: e: and f: fatx partitions invisible to linux but they do safely co-exist. The kernel could possibly even be patched or fdisk set up to look for them in the new place.

Secondly I'd like to know how/if it is possible to increase the video framebuffer memory. I am wanting to use a vdr/directfb setup but am getting an "out of video memory error". I can see an entry setting the buffer size in the gentoox loader but I've not seen anything about the framebuffer that I understand (I am not a coder). Any information would be appreciated.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The first request isnt going to happen. I don't have time anymore. As for the second, look into the append line in linuxboot.cfg. IIRC, you can put MEM=X after the video= part. I forget the exact syntax, google is your friend! ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
chipsugar

Post by chipsugar »

Thanks very much. The comand doesn't have to come after the "video=" section. If you just use mem=however much you want then the framebuffer automatically gets the remainder.

Thanks for pointing it out for me.