Gentoox Loader and Netboot request

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
BigBowser
Novice

Gentoox Loader and Netboot request

Post by BigBowser »

Hi Shallax,

Yesterday I upgraded my modchip (xecuter 3) with Gentoox Loader 6.02, and congratulations: your Netboot is a real usefull function!

And I think you can make it better by adding a "web server" function, let me explain wht I think: with this web server you'll be able to connect to your xbox, selecting linuxboot.cfg, vmlinuz and initrd from you're computer files, automaticaly upload them and booting the xbox.

It's a bit like Xecuter3 Flashbios, but with more than just one file.. It may be more usefull than the actual Netboot because of .t00x file (it's easiest to put directly files you want).

Sorry if you don't understand what I wrote, I know that I've a bad english..

Anyway, cheers
-BigBowser
Modérateur Forum Ominfo.com
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I understand just fine. I had thought about doing it that way, but, generally speaking, netbooting always makes the system that _wants_ to boot the client... not the other way around.

It's certainly something I will consider for the future - it wouldn't be hard either considering that I already have a functioning webserver in Gentoox Loader. In fact, it will probably make it into the next release of Gentoox Loader... however, until I get a <1.6 and a decent modchip (Xecuter 2/3) I can't do anything. Having had to buy a new router certainly won't help with this!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
BigBowser
Novice

Post by BigBowser »

I'm very happy for you, now you've got a new xbox devkit, you'll be able to continue Gentoox Loader :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Go check the Gentoox homepage, I think you'll be happy ;)
BigBowser
Novice

Post by BigBowser »

Shallax, you're my god :D
I'll test it as soon as I can, but anyway you did an awesome job :shock:!!! Thanks a million thousand times!

*EDIT*: I've just tested it, it's fully working, kernel and initrd upload worked very well, the box also :D

I tested it with Rectoox (.iso extracted): all is fully working,

but I'd like to add something about Rectoox itself: Is it possible to make Rectoox reaching network from DHCP first (and only after statically)? because of my local parameters it makes me an IP conflit and I lost my internet connection (modifying so many times eth0 on my computer is a bit annoying..)

Anyway I thank you for all you did, and for you're great job. To my opinion Gentoox Loader took a step of giant! :wink:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I made Resctoox static specifically because sometimes calling DHCP can lock up your Xbox (if the date and time are not set)... it wouldnt be much of a rescue system if it locked up!

What I will do, however, is make it so you can set the network details via the append line.

Glad you like the new Loader!
BigBowser
Novice

Post by BigBowser »

Via the append line? Not a so bad idea..

Ohh also, check if you can that reiserfs works natively with the Loader, because I followed the tutorial made by cheesyboofs to run gentoox 100% natively and on boot no linuxboot.cfg was found, but I tried it with ext3 FS and after linuxboot was found... :? Did you remove reiserfs support on boot?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Reiserfs support is still there. Anyway, I've released a new Resctoox and Gentoox loader now.
BigBowser
Novice

Post by BigBowser »

You and all you're Gentoox are better every day, this add was exactly what I needed :D

Maybe a day the Loader will be as big and featured as Rectoox itself (maybe the next week :shock: ).

Just by curiosity, how many Kb are used in the Loader? (or how many are free :lol: )
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

About 81% of the loader is used (though I could optimise that by quite a bit).
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Respect to you shallax you have really excelled yourself this time!
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...