What do you want in Home v3.0?

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
gmax

Post by gmax »

what about VNC?

not a problem to emerge it but its 1 less thing for us to do
:twisted:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

What about reading my post a couple of pages back where i said id include VNC?
gmax

Post by gmax »

rofl...that was quick...hmm maybe i missed it SORRY
gmax

Post by gmax »

btw i just signed up for the forum and posted because u asked me too...i haven't got the chance to navigate through the forums yet...and i didnt notice there was another page.... :evil:
Freeidee

SPEED SPEED SPEED DEFAULT MANAGER LIGTH!!

Post by Freeidee »

Next time ill actually know what im talking about before posting. It should have been obvious to me that KDE is being made optional along with XFCE.

-- edited by ShALLaX
cyrilpino

Post by cyrilpino »

As kde will be present, I suggest "Kopete" a msn, aim, icq pager...take too much time to build it last time :( :(
kernel_sanders
Novice

480p support

Post by kernel_sanders »

Native support for 480p on the HDpack. And 720p/1080i if at all possible :o . It's just plain easier to use mine w/ 480p than making a VGA cable, 'cause I got an HDTV adapter (won't do 480i, though), and my HDTV cable box has DVI-D output, but the DVI-D output won't do 480i (so much for using Xbox Dashboard on a monitor).
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
Coolberg

Post by Coolberg »

frozen bubble would be great ... its a great game

http://www.frozen-bubble.org
XBoxgeek
Pro

Re: What do you want in Home v3.0?

Post by XBoxgeek »

ShALLaX wrote:What I have so far is this:

* Kernel 2.4.22
* Disable session saving in kde
* Add xfce4 as default (preconfigured)
* Add script to switch between window managers (XFCE<->KDE)
* Add frozen bubble (game)
* Delete sshd keys so they are generated on first boot (Security)

Of course I'll upgrade all of the software that is already included.

Let the suggestions begin...
It's in :wink:
cyrilpino

Post by cyrilpino »

I suggest "Filerunner" a fast & light filemanager...
Sniper Fox
Adept

My requests.

Post by Sniper Fox »

Firebird is decent, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't use konq. I also prefer Kmail / Kontact to Thunderbird... must be something wrong with me!

Can we have TightVNC instead of regular? It helps quite a bit for those of us without much upstream bandwidth. Either way, make it on by default but easily disabled. Regular VNC clients can still connect in, so no compatability concerns.

Samba 3 (waaaay better than 2.x) installed, but easily disabled. Is there a webmin module for that yet? We need webmin modules for EVERYTHING, configuring via flat text config files is sooooo 1980s.

Some GUI tools for magic & emerge would be nice.

Newest openOffice.org (1.1 branch rules!) / Koffice would be nice for those of us who might actually use our xboxs for something productive.

If we're stuck with xfce4 by default, can we have the net and system load plugins from http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... oup_id=910 ? Also, as most users are coming from windows, I think a windows-clone xfce4 theme by default would be nice. http://www.xfce.org/en/xfwm4_themes.html Silverado or RedmondXP will make them feel more at home... they have enough to learn already without fussing with new window widgets. The themes are pretty light, you could include several, but please make a windows-clone one the default.

I'll add more as they come to me. What's the ETA on 3, by the way? 2.1 has LOTS of updates, it would be nice to have a new dist to start fresh from.
Last edited by Sniper Fox on Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Im already using the redmond-xp theme, i thought people would appreciate that ;).

XFCE wont be default, instead ive decided to add a selector on first boot, kinda like the resolution selector.

TightVNC has been used instead of regular VNC, so dont worry about that ;), however it wont be loaded as default as this wastes a lot of resources for people who dont want VNC. You can start the VNC server by running "vncctl start" and stop it with "vncctl stop".

I'll add the system+netload monitors if they appear to be useful, theyre already installed, so I may as well see if I can add them.

ETA is still unpredictable, although the time for idea suggestion is going to expire soon.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Can the window manager selector dealy have "Don't automatically start X / Server mode" too? You could still login then "startx", of course. That's an excellent idea, but I think you're going to have some implementation issues. Perhaps something with custom runlevels (since I believe gentoo ignores runlevels more or less)? Also, some manner of "Don't show this screen anymore, always do ....." would probably help.

I suppose Apache w/ mod_php & MySQL installed but disabled is out of the question? They take soooooo long to build!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Implementation issues? Its gonna be a one-shot affair. You select kde/xfce and you get that window manager until you select a menu item to switch it.. i.e. in XFCE there is a menu item called "toKDE" which switches to KDE, and in KDE there is a menu item called "toXFCE" which switches to XFCE.

Im not including Apache, home users generally dont want this.
garretwp

Post by garretwp »

It would be nice for the people who are stuck at the point of loading gentoox, they get stuck at the loading clock section of boot up. can you make it so we can by pass this or disable it? I cant seem to get past this boot up. with this problem i cant load gentoox.

Garrett