What do you want in Home v3.0?

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
del33ted_g33k
Novice

Post by del33ted_g33k »

the ability to make then xpad work as a joystick not a mouse
yes i know it's supposed to be in but last time i tried it didn't work

oh and shallax i think icewolfx ment have a winex installation script like Bikr's in magic
energyBB
Linux User

Post by energyBB »

aMSN preinstalled would be pretty nice. I hate MS' protocol as much as the next guy, but it's quite popular and aMSN is supposedly one of the few clients who can still connect to the MSN network.

I agree, a Bittorrent client preinstalled would be very nice. Nice to see that Thunderbird and Firebird are going to be in 3.0.

For those who want to hook up a printer to their Xbox - how about preinstalling XPP, a GTK2 printer manager? This is perhaps one of the things that KDE does really well out of the box and that XFCE currently lacks.

Was rox-filer ever included? This together with XFCE4 would really be a nice combo.

Not much to wish for - perhaps a few more preinstalled games would be nice (perhaps a shareware version of LDoom now that SDL comes preinstalled with 3.0) Preinstalling the new Mplayer and XMMS would round things up.

ShALlax, regarding the thing about native installs:

Paul Bartholomew released some very preliminary code on how to partition the Xbox drives (meaning, C, E, F, X, Y and Z) manually - he also said that if it ever were possible to define the size of each partition on the Xbox manually instead of letting the BIOS take care of it, certain changes would have to be made to the installer script of Stardust so that a native install could be done on a drive other than E or F.

The whole point of this would be that people who don't necessarily want to lose their F drive but still want to have a speedier Gentoox could install Gentoox on this small native partition - let's say someone has a 120Gb drive and he dedicates 100Gb to F. After C, E, X, Y and Z, that still leaves him with enough space to install Gentoox on the unpartitioned space - which would be in its own native format (i.e ReiserFS, EXT3, XFS or whatever).

I'm not suggesting that you should do this for the upcoming release, but it would be nice if you could take a look at it when Paul eventually releases an app that lets us repartition Xbox drives manually. (AFAIK he's still working on it but is rather occupied at the moment)

I'll try to put up a link so you can take a look at it. Might take me some while to dig through Xbox-Scene Forum's archives though.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Us Zero Wing players would like to see Xmame . . . and maybe a front-end, like gRustibus.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

drerock wrote:HOW ABOUT AN OPTION FOR KDE TO START AUTOMATICALLY WHEN GENTOOX BOOTS. I CAN GET A 1024X768 RESULTION TO WORK IN KDE ONLY. XFC4 GIVES ME A BLANK SCREEN. I MEMORIZED THE KEYSTROKES AND CAN LOG IN THAT WAY BUT IT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER IF KDE STARTED UP AUTOMATICALLY.
Dude, if you didn't f*ck it up, KDE starts automagically already. Anyways, you can change the setting yourself, even if you did screw up. And watch the caps, buddy.

del33ted_g33k
Novice

Post by del33ted_g33k »

ooo obvious request set http://gentoox.shallax.com as the default home page in firebird
masterslave
Linux User

Post by masterslave »

I'd like to see .NET running on the XBox, bet that would make Micro$oft just a little bit happier! There's Mono package under dev-dotnet category. Don't think it's the latest one, but still it would be good to have it as part of Gentoox...
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I have a neat idea (it may not be possible, but it would be nifty!)

Have a script/program that lets you set the LED colors. I know what you're thinking, but hear me out:

-one could set the LED color to, say, orange when it is booting/shutting down, and blinking red and green when gcc or g++ is running (when compiling something), etc. Kinda neat indicater!

Or just stupid.

Or perhaps it is already implemented, and I'm just too stupid to notice.

EDIT: I mean for it to be possible for the user to customize them. :p

mstjohn

Post by mstjohn »

I'd really like to see HDTV video support.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

Trogdor - there is type "blink"

However i would like it to be a command switch modifyier not a menu so that i can call it like a subroutine from a script - i want it to change with the temp of my cpu/m0b0 i dont mind writing the script as long as i can call blink some how :)

ermm USB 56k modem drivers :)) (i know its lame but im living in the country/past) :?

gphoto for sure! :)

i think everything else i wanted has been mentioned
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

KDE DOES start automatically (to the guy complaining)

Im not including BT, Xmule or any other p2p clients or emulators due to potential legal issues in the UK.

Dont call blink in a script, call "led", like "led rrrr" for red "led rgrg" for redgreenredgreen etc... I already have a wrapper for led color with respect to system load, should be easy to change with temp... see /bin/loadmonitor.
Craxx
Novice

Post by Craxx »

It would be nice if you include in KDE some languages. Very important German.
best regards
Craxx;)
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

cheers ShALLaX you rock man :)

i did not realise that was even there :) you should have a tute for all the cool oddities you have added
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

maybe you should add VIM i cant stand pico :P

and linx or lynx or whatever it is :)
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

sorry to interrupt this lovely list but masterslave are you in billy gates' pocket first you want live now you want .NET hows about you request that the X be windows too :P and wine boots default at startup

why dont you mount /mnt/billgateswiener/ while you are at it :P and maybe a shareholder or two for good measure

I know hows about shallax impliments a "man themscetextbooks" so you can brush up in time for that promotion

sheeeesh

(i apologise in advance for all the flaming i am about to recieve, but quite frankly i think that the day that windows is opensource so we the linux community can fix it the better)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heheh, calm :P

Writing a driver for the Xpad that supports both mouse AND joypad emulation at the same time is out of my time scope. Youll have to buy a non-xbox joypad and use proper joypad drivers for this, sorry.

And yes, I realise he only wanted a WineX script, but this still may cause issues with Transgaming. Remember, it had to be removed from portage, so they would almost certainly get on my back to remove it from magic. The WineX source is not there to be downloaded and used by everyone, it is there to help people debug their problems!

As for the latest mplayer and XMMS, the latest versions available on portage and marked as stable will be included in this release. Basically, once I have everything working the way I want it, i run "emerge sync && emerge -DUup world && etc-update" then check that everything works.