Forced video output

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
Pobtastic
Novice

Forced video output

Post by Pobtastic »

ShALLaX wrote:I know why the one bundled with home 3.0c worked.... there was no code for hdtv, it just forced the output as standard PAL/NTSC regardless of the AVPACK. I fear that once you upgrade your kernel, nothing will work at all. The problem is... as soon as the driver sees an HDTV AVPACK it shoots straight to 480p.
Okay so this issue probably only affects less than 1% of Gentoox users... But it's still driving me crazy only being able to use 640x480 (or 720 whatever it is!) in 480p component mode. I know it's probably taking a step backwards rather than forwards, but would it not be possible to add another option to xbvset for 'FORCED' output, so I can once again see the whole screen in 800x600?!!! :D Just a thought...

My whole Gentoox installation is perfect aside from the screen size :(

Pobster
morrisx10

Post by morrisx10 »

please this feature would be great because im using component video output for the dolby digital but my TV do not support progresive scan. so i have to switch to composite cable every time i want to use linux
Trevante
Power user

Re: Forced video output

Post by Trevante »

Pobtastic wrote:
ShALLaX wrote:I know why the one bundled with home 3.0c worked.... there was no code for hdtv, it just forced the output as standard PAL/NTSC regardless of the AVPACK. I fear that once you upgrade your kernel, nothing will work at all. The problem is... as soon as the driver sees an HDTV AVPACK it shoots straight to 480p.
Okay so this issue probably only affects less than 1% of Gentoox users... But it's still driving me crazy only being able to use 640x480 (or 720 whatever it is!) in 480p component mode. I know it's probably taking a step backwards rather than forwards, but would it not be possible to add another option to xbvset for 'FORCED' output, so I can once again see the whole screen in 800x600?!!! :D Just a thought...

My whole Gentoox installation is perfect aside from the screen size :(

Pobster
Do you have a 1.6? If so, then there's really nothing that can be done unless some brain figures out how to manipulate the Xcalibur encoder without the data sheets.

If you have a 1.4/1.5, then you're stuck with fixed resolutions (480p, 720p only)