Windows XP on Xbox?

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
jaroc

Windows XP on Xbox?

Post by jaroc »

I just want to know if theres any chance we might see windows xp come to xbox in the future
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Windows is closed source so it is much harder to tweak. There seems to be an effort to port Windows CE to the xbox, but I can't imagine how that could be any better (for anything) than linux with WINE. I haven't heard about any effort (or even if it's remotely possible) to port XP to the xbox. Anyways, I don't think I'm too far off in saying, it wont be coming any time soon, and certainly not from Shallax: he's got better things to do.
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

Also doens't XP require at least 256 MB of ram?I can't see XP running on 64 MB of ram though... :x
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

minimum system requirements for xp is only 64MB RAM (although it is damn slow) however the only kind of XP that would ever run on the xbox is some kind of embeded version which would be stripped down to run on less memory
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

Oh yea, it says on the bottom of my Windows XP box, 128MB ram or higher(64MB minimum supported).My bad. :oops:
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

1st_Cavalry wrote:Oh yea, it says on the bottom of my Windows XP box, 128MB ram or higher(64MB minimum supported).My bad. :oops:
Technically, Windows XP can run on 64 mb of ram, but anything less than 192 mb will run like crap. In fact, with windows xp, anything >= 192 mb will run like crap . . . but faster crap.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

I just want to know if theres any chance we might see windows xp come to xbox in the future
Nope.
BoricAcid
Novice

Post by BoricAcid »

Trogdor wrote:In fact, with windows xp, anything >= 192 mb will run like crap . . . but faster crap.
lol!! :lol: You made my day, man.
Arion

Post by Arion »

You might be able to get an earlier version of windows to run through an emulator like VmWare/Bochs, etc.

However I'm pretty sure that you'll find WINE, at this stage to be a better solution, if you want to use Windows Apps.

Depending on why you want to run XP, I'm sure there is a better soln.
skilayers

Post by skilayers »

Arion wrote:You might be able to get an earlier version of windows to run through an emulator like VmWare/Bochs, etc.

However I'm pretty sure that you'll find WINE, at this stage to be a better solution, if you want to use Windows Apps.

I have been trying to figure a way to get Propellerheads Reason 2.5 running on the Xbox. Its a music authoring program. The problem is Reason will not run under Wine or WineX, so I'm thinking that getting Windows 98 running would be a better idea. Does anyone know which is faster? bochs or vmware?

Thanks,
skinlayers
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

forget about it, even if you did manage to get it running, the sound quality would be crap and it would die after adding more than a couple of instruments unless you set the latency to around 2 seconds
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Arion

Post by Arion »

skilayers wrote:
Arion wrote:You might be able to get an earlier version of windows to run through an emulator like VmWare/Bochs, etc.

I have been trying to figure a way to get Propellerheads Reason 2.5 running on the Xbox. Its a music authoring program. The problem is Reason will not run under Wine or WineX, so I'm thinking that getting Windows 98 running would be a better idea. Does anyone know which is faster? bochs or vmware?

Thanks,
skinlayers
vmware. It's not free though.
Vajutza

Win XP

Post by Vajutza »

I've been able to get windows XP Pro running in 61mb of memory by using a hardware profile and turning of all but three essential services,
it ran like a charm and gave me 30-40% more FPS when playing games. and it only took 15 seconds to boot up to a desktop, only down side is that it is very vulnerable to use online.

Damn Small Linux would be better if you want to run an OS in very little memory.

Cheers

Vajutza