native vga -> script

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
kadrim
Novice

native vga -> script

Post by kadrim »

it would be nice if there was some kind of script for compiling the kernel to output for native vga (pixel8's cable)

it's such a mess to do this on your own.

greets,
kadrim
Dark_TB
Novice

Yes

Post by Dark_TB »

Yes, I also want this.
When i try to change resolution in x config my screen just go black. And I can't enjoy linux in real VGA :(

The X2VGA get much attention, unlike plain vga cables, it would be sweet if somebody would write a guide to do everything youself, but a script would be even bether.

Maybe shallax can fix a VGA script in xbvset?
Dark_TB
Novice

And

Post by Dark_TB »

Do u know how to recompile the kernel to get native VGA?
I have install gentoox 3 times and everytime I run magic I get some error that the downlaod was corrupted and it does not finish.

I thought I could use the X2VGA script to enable true VGA. Maybe I'm just stupid.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ive no idea about native VGA, its not a high priority since the X2VGA does this easily.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Dark_TB
Novice

Post by Dark_TB »

It was kinda easy to make it work without xbvset.
I looked at the vga tutorial on xbox-linux.org and edited XF86Config by hand and it worked kinda.
The screen get black after a few seconds, and going into power saving but then you kill x, and restart it and it works!
kadrim
Novice

Post by kadrim »

i only get 640x480 to work....

higher res isn't possible, not because of my monitor but because the xbox just won't do 800x600 or higher

what did you experience?
aaron1017

Post by aaron1017 »

Debian Supports VGA VERY WELL with my Pixel8 cable! Maybe you coders can reverse engineer the Debain Kernel or something.