System hangs on first boot

Post information here about bugs - please remember to provide an accurate and detailed description and, if possible, steps on how to replicate the issue.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

System hangs on first boot

Post by nobspangle »

The first time I boot into Gentoox the system hangs at the login prompt. I cannot ssh in or use keyboard/xpad forcing me to do an ugly hard restart.

If I turn the box off then on again then boot gentoox the system comes up fine.

I am running Pro 1.1 with the latest magic update. An xecuter2 bios (4977). The install is native reiserfs and I have samba, mysql and apache2 running at startup.

I've checked the logs and can't see a difference between the normal boot and the crash, however I could easily have missed something as I know little about the what the different logs are and which is the most likely one to contain the info I need.

If you want me to post any of the logs just let me know which you want.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ive never experience this. Although i have seen usb not get initialised properly. Networking should always work fine.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

This is like a complete lock up. The system boots to the login prompt and the cursor is blinking then it just stops and nothing works. It's just strange that it seems to happen when I first turn on the Xbox everytime.
kdt

Post by kdt »

I have had similar problems with Gentoox. When I boot my USB keyboard shows all three lights, when they don't go off the Keyboard and Joypad is completely dead there is no way to restart without using the power button.

When I reboot the problem is usually resolved.

I am using a modded xbox with cromwell that came with Gentoox 3.

Kdt
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

My problem turned out to be network related. The crash occured when I tried to ssh in to the box. I solved it by reverting to the nvnet driver.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Very very odd problem there, I cant say I've ever come across this.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo