Missing symbols in snd.o

Post information here about bugs - please remember to provide an accurate and detailed description and, if possible, steps on how to replicate the issue.
Tobermory Womble

Missing symbols in snd.o

Post by Tobermory Womble »

I think that the most recent version of alsa may have broken something.

I get the following when trying to modprobe snd_intel8x0 xbox=1
"Warning: /lib/modules/2.4.34.2-gentoox/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o symbol for parameter major not found
/lib/modules/2.4.34.2-gentoox/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: symbol for parameter cards_limit not found"

This is a clean build of Home 6.2 on a version 1.2 Xbox.
Following the build, I ran magic and emerged alsa-utils, alsa-tools and alsa-driver-xbox.
I have run etc-update, update-modules and depmod -ae, and everything looks clean.

I have tried rebuilding the kernel, but that didn't help either.
marcan

Post by marcan »

Same exact problem here. I didn't even update the system or emerge alsa-driver-xbox, and neither did I run magic. All I emerged was mythtv, ntp, alsa-utils, and a few other random things, none of which should have any effect on the ALSA modules.

Please let me know if you do find a solution.
marcan

Post by marcan »

Hmm, I managed to get it to load and work for me. I still get the warnings, but now it loads.

Try update-modules. Grep /etc/modules.conf to make sure there are no references to "snd". Then try to load the modules.
Tobermory Womble

Post by Tobermory Womble »

Well spotted. That did the job nicely, and I've even managed to get optical sound working from mythtv.

All I need to do is work out why there's no video on the HDTV...