USB sometimes doesn't work

Post information here about bugs - please remember to provide an accurate and detailed description and, if possible, steps on how to replicate the issue.
tutmann

USB sometimes doesn't work

Post by tutmann »

Hello *,
I use an unmodded XBox V1.0 and installed Gentoox Home 2.1. When I boot Gentoox the Xpad only works every 2nd or 3rd time I boot.
Everytime the Xpad work, my USB-Mouse works too, but when my Xpad won't work the mouse won't too either.
What do I wrong, what additional data do you need?
I'm able to work with my XBox via ssh.
Another question: When using wmaker, how do I get xkbevd to stay in background, while my shell stay in foreground? (I want to work with the shell, its in foreground, but when I click a key in xkbevd, the shell is in background and no keypress reaches the shell).

Any hints?

Tutmann
lebowski

Post by lebowski »

I have the same problem with usb only working sometimes.

Am using a MS wireless kb/mouse. Havent worked out any pattern to when it does or doesnt work yet :/
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I know about this problem, and its caused by a cromwell/xromwell bug. I guess their USB stack isnt all so good. You can get round it by using the default bootloader found in the distro .rar files (gentooxx.xbe).
lebowski

Post by lebowski »

I am using the gentoox.xbe from the stardust rar file from evox
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah.. thats xromwell..
tutmann

So where is the right gentooxx.xbe?

Post by tutmann »

Which rar? Which path in rar?
Can I exchange them without any risk of destroying my linux?

What exactly is Cromwell? I thought it was some kind of Bios use on modchips or in Phoenix Bios Loader.....
I use Phoenix with Xecuter2 and Evox to start Gentoox.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You can get the original bootloader from any of the distro downloads on the site other than stardust.... replacing the bootloader 100% safe. Cromwell is a BIOS/ bootloader/ hardware initializer.
Mko

virtual keyboard problem in wmaker

Post by Mko »

I too had the problem with xkbved problem with wmaker. Although I could see the keyboard and was able to select the individual keys, the result of my clicking never appeared on the screen!

I was forced to reinstall Gentoox, since without a virtual keyboard, I was stuck.

Mko.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

*sigh*... you never thought to click "focus" then click the application you wanted to type into? That would be the solution to your problem.

I swear no one can think for themselves... that or logic is now a dead artform.
Mko

Post by Mko »

Hello ShaLLaX.

I have to thank you for all the hard work you've clearly put into this tremendous distribution. It has clearly changed the XBox landscape, and has helped re-expose me to the power of Linux after a long break. For that, I will forever be grateful.

I must say however that I'm a bit dissapointed by your response. The default installation of Gentoox (home edition), installs the virtual keyboard in a manner such that if you want to use it, you merely "place your cursor" on the screen you wish to type in, and then click on the virtual keyboard (bringing it to the foreground), and then type away. After installing Wmaker, the keyboard is still visible on the screen, but no longer functions in the same manner. I did indeed "play" with wmaker for quite some time, and did indeed "try to think for myself". I did not independently discover however the "focus" option you mentioned, and after several hours of no success, and searching your site for documentation on this change, I got frusterated at not being able to use Gentoox anymore (I didn't yet have a keyboard), so I reinstalled it.

As you can tell by this forum, I'm not the first to have this problem. I also think that it's reasonable for someone to expect the virtual keyboard to work in the same way after installing a different windows manager.

I am very grateful to you for the (clearly enormous) hard work you've placed into creating this distribution for the Xbox community - a distribution that has helped expand what we can all do with our investment. Nevertheless, insulting your user base will only serve to create an environment where people will be hesitant to ask questions.

Regards

Mko.
Last edited by Mko on Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Actually, you're right, I apologise.

You have to understand that I get an incredibly large amount of emails, IMs and private messages always asking the same questions... most of them asking extremely stupid questions that are already answered on the site, or could be answered after 2 minutes of using google, or the official gentoo forums.

I felt that something like this should be commonsense... after all, whatelse could "focus" possibly do... if I'm typing on the keyboard and nothing is happening it instantly tells me that there is a window focus issue, obviously I'm wrong. You can't argue that it should work the same in a different window manager because they are completely different code - its similar to arguing that something made for windows should work in linux :P. Dont worry, wmaker will soon be gone (infact, it already is.. but I dont support xfce yet!)

You caught me at a bad time when I read your post, I'll try not to let it happen again :)
Mko

Post by Mko »

ShaLLaX

Thanks for your reply - I took offense to your message when I shouldn't have. Thanks again for all your hard work, and for re-exposing me to the power of Linux.

Regards

Mko.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

**SOLVED**

The newest distro versions come with an upgraded Cromwell/ Xromwell which fixes this.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Seems that this issue is more apparent with kernel 2.4.22, I guess more work needs doing on Cromwell.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo