Sovereign's Focus + Gentoox Tutorial

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
soepkip

Re: problems with networking

Post by soepkip »

johnnobts wrote:hi, I'm stuck here too it seems. I've got a focus chip as well and so have been following the tutorial (THANKS!), but have hit a wall. Everythin seems to be loaded fine, except i'm trying to run magic, and am unable to connect, nor can i successfully ping any ip address for that matter. i know that some of you have simply said to follow the networking tutorlal to solve the problem, but i'm having problems with this too. again, since my screen is messed up i'm trying to send commands to my xbox via SSH, so I type in the first instruction:

pico –w /etc/conf.d/net

then, my screen on the pc (using PUTTY) just seems to show nothing except for some commands on the bottom... HOw can i change a file if i can't even see the file... can someone help me out here? i'm pulling out my hair at this point.

also, i'm plugged into a router, and using dial-up through my PC. My network is configured to allow sharing through my LAN connection...
Try

pico /etc/conf.d/net

so without the -w, which only consideres some wordwrap option, and then pico should open the file. I had the same 'problem'.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The -w is no longer needed because Shallax added a bash alias so that when you type pico bash does pico -w
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
soepkip

Post by soepkip »

nobspangle wrote:The -w is no longer needed because Shallax added a bash alias so that when you type pico bash does pico -w
That should be updated in the networking tutorial then.
slayer1135

Post by slayer1135 »

when i try to run magic it wait a while and gives me an error:
/root/patches: /root/patches: No such file or directory
soepkip

Post by soepkip »

slayer1135 wrote:when i try to run magic it wait a while and gives me an error:
/root/patches: /root/patches: No such file or directory
Reed this topic first please.

You will need to set up a WORKING internet connection on your Xbox, before you can run magic. Read the networking tutorial to get to know how to set up that i-net connection. (And use just the command pico instead of pico -w)