when gentoox with support for focus we are eager to prove it

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

nobspangle wrote:connect over ssh and run xbvset make sure you choose low values for hoc and voc
why do you insist that THAT fixes the problem, as everyone that seems to have tried it still has a problem?
~ToeRag.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

apart from Shallax who had his working first time no problems no changes to anything
and soverign who has 3 posts, one to ask questions, one to say thanks for the answers and one to post a tutorial on how he got gentoox working (without problems) on a focus xbox, and none spent prattling on about some "8 second screen of death" issue that doesn't exist.

Although this does give me an idea for a 60s sci-fi B movie
"The adventures of ToeRag and the 8 second screen of death"

it would become a cult classic by only being 8 seconds long
I think I'll have Will Shatner to play ToeRag and the screen can be a cameo by the Windows BSOD

Oh dear I seem to have gone off topic.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ToeRag
Novice

Abra-Ca-Dabra" or sprinkle 'Pixie Dust"

Post by ToeRag »

nobspangle wrote:apart from Shallax who had his working first time no problems no changes to anything
and soverign who has 3 posts, one to ask questions, one to say thanks for the answers and one to post a tutorial on how he got gentoox working (without problems) on a focus xbox, and none spent prattling on about some "8 second screen of death" issue that doesn't exist.

Although this does give me an idea for a 60s sci-fi B movie
"The adventures of ToeRag and the 8 second screen of death"

it would become a cult classic by only being 8 seconds long
I think I'll have Will Shatner to play ToeRag and the screen can be a cameo by the Windows BSOD

Oh dear I seem to have gone off topic.
I think it's more on the lines of "nobspangle's Fairy Tales"... I can make a video of my xbox (1.5) that was installed from scratch, then 'magic' ed' to the "8ssod" And you can see for yourself, you can even have the mpeg sent to a UFO video hoaxing service to check for alterations if you don't beleive your eyes.

Oh, if you forgot to mention that after running 'magic' an your special edits, that I forgot to say "Abra-Ca-Dabra" or sprinkle 'Pixie Dust" al about, perhaps that's my problem.
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I blame user incompetance. I've yet to see this "magical" 8 second phenomenon.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:I blame user incompetance. I've yet to see this "magical" 8 second phenomenon.
ahh.. so it doesn't exist then... it is magic.. right after I ran it is when it appeared. You're right it's something I did. I guess it's my keyboard, or me typing 'magic' and typing 'yes'....

If the whole process is automated how can you shift the blame to user incompetance?
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I thought to myself... "You know, maybe it is magic thats broken". So I made a fresh install of Gentoox home AGAIN, for the 6th time, and ran magic. Yet again, it worked first time.

Tell me your video specs.... Focus, Conexant? NTSC, PAL? HDTV, TV? Resolution? Gimme all the relevant details you can think of in a nice list and ill try and emulate your situation. Until then, I have to assume its working fine, since I absolutely cannot replicate the scenario.
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:I thought to myself... "You know, maybe it is magic thats broken". So I made a fresh install of Gentoox home AGAIN, for the 6th time, and ran magic. Yet again, it worked first time.

Tell me your video specs.... Focus, Conexant? NTSC, PAL? HDTV, TV? Resolution? Gimme all the relevant details you can think of in a nice list and ill try and emulate your situation. Until then, I have to assume its working fine, since I absolutely cannot replicate the scenario.
(640x480 - NTSC - Focus - TV) on second thought ...

forget it. denial works for me sometimes too. I never really use gentoox anyway. It was more of a hobby plaything thing anyway - turned out less fun more work than it was worth. I find it rather limited, constrained by xbox usb adapters, case size, no way to expand memory, it's really NOT a very powerful LINUX computer for me. I have others available to install a conventional distro. That solution provides less issues with hardware, patches etc...

(kinda like trying to make chicked salad out of chicken sh!t)

doesn't seem to be on your priority list anyway.
~ToeRag.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

handbags
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

What the hell? Heh. Powerful enough for me... this forum is run off an xbox, as is the website along with many other processes. The memory has been upgraded to 128MB and you can easily adapt the controller ports.

I tried 640x480 Focus, NTSC, worked fine. What ill try this time is setting my EEPROM to NTSC, this could be the issue.
eVoluTion

Post by eVoluTion »

Hi,
first ... IT WORKS !!!
Thanks for this great tutorial !

I've installed with PALBDGHI -auto 800 600 12.00 12.00
on a xbox v1.5 with Focus Chip.

Ok, there is no overscan fix atm (xromwell.xbe don't let me boot, only restart the box, i've a normal TV not a HDTV).
But i there a chance atm to change the resolution, i only have 640x480 (installed home edition).

When i run xbvset i got the option TV and then only 640x480 resolution.

Thanks for your help
eVoluTion
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the focus driver only supports 640x480 at the moment so when xbvset detects the focus chip it only offers you 640x480
eVoluTion

Post by eVoluTion »

ok thanks !

then i'll be waiting that a genius make a update that fixed Overscan Problem
and support a higher resolution..

Greetz eVoluTion :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You really needed a tutorial??? Ive been saying "SSH in, then run magic" over and over.
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ToeRag wrote: (640x480 - NTSC - Focus - TV) on second thought ...

forget it. denial works for me sometimes too. I never really use gentoox anyway. It was more of a hobby plaything thing anyway - turned out less fun more work than it was worth. I find it rather limited, constrained by xbox usb adapters, case size, no way to expand memory, it's really NOT a very powerful LINUX computer for me. I have others available to install a conventional distro. That solution provides less issues with hardware, patches etc...

(kinda like trying to make chicked salad out of chicken sh!t)

doesn't seem to be on your priority list anyway.
OK ... time to eat crow! or "chicken SH!T salad"

Just before I abandoned my gentoox 1.5 install -- I decided to wipe the install and start from scratch. I don't really need linux running on that xbox, as my 1.1 xbox is running fine, and if I have a use for linux running on an xbox I will use that one. However with that said, it was bothering me that everyone else seems to have had success .. ?? SOOO.... I installed from scratch (network-FTP Install) After replaceing the the gentooxx.xbe with the lastest version.... everyting is working now!!! I can't believe it! Sorry for all my whinning, but it just seemed hopeless, as I didn't do anything different - other than upgrading from magic as the updates were released.

The only annoying thing I still have on the 1.5 xbox is that when selecting gentoox from evolutionX or unleashedX dashboards it hangs then loud fan noise ... shutdown. Happens about %50 of the time, and takes about 3-4 times to get it to boot successfully. quite annoying. I know it was mentioned in the past, but I felt it was worth mentoning again.

Perhaps this will be my next object of whinning! :?
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No no, that is a bug I have recognised (The yellow LED + fast fan.... basically, it would seem something is reading from the PIC address that causes the Xbox to lockup in overheat mode). I now have to hound someone for a fix ;)