Recommendation for SHALLAX

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
fatflock222

Recommendation for SHALLAX

Post by fatflock222 »

I am a novice linux user, but i am new to gentoox, i have used xblinux b4 and have ran linux on my comp. I realized that your verion of linux is amazingly complete to the needs of many people. Shallax i you should move foward and try to compile a windows version of gentoox because after using this i have a feeling it would be extremely popular rivaling on the lines of mandrake. well tell me what you think of the idea. and btw thanks for helping me turn my xbox into a computer i now use daily. :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

for a start there already is a PC version of gentoox it's called gentoo. Gentoox is gentoo with an X like Xbox. The whole purpose of gentoo is that it is a system that you can compile from source, allowing you to tailor everything to your system.
All Xbox's are pretty much the same, they have the same processor and they are required to have the same hard drive structure to make them work. This means Shallax can build a version of gentoo for the xbox saving you the time of compiling it yourself, he can make it easy to install and compile loads of pakages for it because it will be optimized for the xbox.
If Shallax made a version of gentoo for the PC that you installed like gentoox and had a similiar set of precompiled packages. It wouldn't have any of the advantages of gentoo as everything would have to be compiled for a generic x86 processor. It wouldn't really be any better than mandrake.
This is why there are many distributions of linux, gentoo isn't mandrake, it also isn't debian, suse or redhat. All distributions are good for different things and different people.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Re: Recommendation for SHALLAX

Post by Trogdor »

fatflock222 wrote:[1] I am a novice linux user . . . [2] compile a windows version of gentoox
1) I can tell.
2) What do you mean? Do you mean a version of gentoo that will run overtop of Windows?
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
fatflock222

Post by fatflock222 »

x86 platform*
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

GENTOO.ORG!
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

i hate to aggree with trogdor but you just got owned
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!