Next in the Series of Reviews/install guides: Starcraft

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Next in the Series of Reviews/install guides: Starcraft

Post by RabidWeezle »

Well, here is one fun game. If you ever have played it, you would know. It's a stradegy game with 3 races, Terran (human), The zerg (think slimy aliens), and protoss (smart aliens with advanced technology).. The game has multiplayer capabuilities over battle.net and other networking procols. It's 2d, but has very good graphics for a 2d game, and better gameplay than other 3D real time stradegy games. Basically it's warcraft/freecraft with aliens, spaceships, viecles/etc.

Now for the install guide.

Things needed:

Keyboard
mouse (can be the xpad)
a windows pc (if you want battle.net)
Ejectable bios (so you can open the dvdrom)
a working install of winex using bikr's scriipt or other...

Method 1, I don't want battle.net
Well, it's alot easier to do....

Toss the starcraft cd into the dvdrom drive

Code: Select all

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
wine install.exe
tell it you don't want to install directx but you want to continue install when it asks.
when it gets done trying to copy the files over it will try to make icons and can't [old wine bug] and it will bring up an error, now's when you ctrl+alt+f2 login as gentoox and type in:

Code: Select all

killall -9 wine
exit
then press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to X

This keeps the installer from deleting the files and registry evtries.
Next you cd /path/to/your/wine/c_drive it should be like "~/.wine/c_drive/Program Files/StarCraft" then type in wine StarCraft.exe and watch it load up. From there, you should see it works great.

Now if you want battle.net, it's sort of a runaround but it works. Do as listed up there, but then install it to your pc. Then launch the game on the pc, and goto online, battle.net and it will update the files. When it's done updating the files run winzip and zip up the StarCraft directory saving full path info and using subdirectories. Then transfer the files to your xbox and extract it to xbox's starcraft directory. I use mc for the extracting stuff (emerge mc) but if you know how to extract a zip you know what to do... make sure you overwrite all the files it asks to. Since they are updated. when you are all done, cd /to/the/starcraft/cd and "wine StarCraft.exe. Or you can make a script to do it and stick it in your /usr/bin and run it to load it up. Like on mine, all I type in is starcraft in an xterm or click the fluxbox menu entry I made.

I would post working screenshots, but alas, I have no host, and I don't really want a ftpd or httpd runnin....

Bugging people in #gentoox since april
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Reviving a dormant topic here... maybe stirring up something you all want me to leave alone, but... here we are. I'm hoping someone can help me. I've got starcraft installed on my gentoo pc (not my xbox yet) and I can log onto battlenet... but the display is all buggy (near unuseable), and I lag out as soon as I join a game. Anyone heard of a solution?
kadrim
Novice

Post by kadrim »

maybe it's a bug in your winex cvs version
try another one or get the real thing (winex full for 5$)

it solves a lot of problems even the blizzard patcher so you don't have to use another windows pc to update your installation