yeah what's the deal with the time?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
lateralus
Novice

yeah what's the deal with the time?

Post by lateralus »

Every time i reboot my xbox, gentoox time changes to June, 6, 2004. It is annoying. So i played around with the net time command and well this is kind of annoying. If i run the command net time -S 192.168.1.2(my computer's ip) it keeps giving me a time that is like ten hours ahead of the actual time my computer is set to. In fact if i run net time \\192.168.1.2(the equavilent windows command) from my pc i get the correct time, the time my pc is set to. I don't know why it does this. It annoying. Anyone have a hypothesis?

thanks, lateralus
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Your time zone is incorrect. It likely thinks you're in central europe time and you're in pacific or something of the like. Google changing timezones and you'll find info on how to get rid of /etc/localtime and softlink it to /usr/share/.../whateveryourtimezoneis. Here's mine:

xbox ~ # date
Thu May 31 07:53:16 PDT 2007
xbox ~ # ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 May 16 21:33 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Vancouver
xbox ~ #

Run "date" and see if the time zone it shows is the same as the zone you're in. If not, this should fix it.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

set your timezone like cpalmer suggested, also i would recommend installing ntp

http://gentoo-wiki.com/NTP