How to mount more space?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
raid517
Novice

How to mount more space?

Post by raid517 »

Hi I know this is an old one - and really all I should have to do is run 'magic newfs' however (possibly because my Gentoox is a slightly older version, though perfectly stable, so no need to change it) unfortunately magic has stopped working - or at least when it tries to download the newest version of itself it fails.

In any case, I have Gentoox installed on my Xbox and recently the rootfs became corrupted after a hard reset. No big deal really, as I just restored the rootfs from a backup I had on my xbox.

However within my previous rootfs I had sucessfully ran 'magic newfs' - although this was over a year or more ago. I created two new compressed file systems and told Magic to mount these at /usr/portage and /var/log (I did this as these were the two directories that were causing the most space related issues). I then copied the contents of the var and portage directories to these new locations.

However with my new/backup rootfs, these file systems created by portage aren't being mounted - and aren't listed in my fstab.

The question is therefore, how do I correctly add entries to my fstab so that these additional file systems will be mounted at boot?.

The name of each of my file systems created by magic are 'portage' and 'log'.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

well they will have to be added to /etc/fstab

It depends on a few things as well, if /usr/portage and /var/log exist inside your rootfs you will need to remove them or change their names or whatever so you don't get an issue when they are mounted.

Where are these extra things you want to mount located?
jebus1990

Post by jebus1990 »

Hi, sorry, I'm raid517. I had to start a new account due to a screw up with my email address, which I changed, but the forum software didn't send the confirmation email and now it won't let me log in with my old account.

NM.

Both of these file systems are locate in my F partition. (At the top level/root of F).

So it would be F:/log and F:/portage.
It depends on a few things as well, if /usr/portage and /var/log exist inside your rootfs you will need to remove them or change their names or whatever so you don't get an issue when they are mounted.

Yeah that's pretty much the way I had it set up - and it ran sweetly for the longest time. The only problem with the Reseiser FS is that it is prone to occasional corruption after a sudden loss of power.

I have seen it several times on larger PC's too, which is why given a choice I don't use it.

But anyway, luckily I kept a somewhat older back up of my RootFS - but I hadn't added the extra space at that point. (And now I've forgotten since it was so long ago how to add it to fstab).
speedfrenzy

Post by speedfrenzy »

jebus1990 wrote:And now I've forgotten since it was so long ago how to add it to fstab
never mind!
i postet some experiences concerning the "space problem" on fatx hdds and the content of my fstab right here:

forums.shallax.com/viewtopic.php?p=18186#18186

... :wink:

p.s.: why on earth is my account not old enough to link urls within this forum?? i mean, it can?t be spam if i link to another post here in the gentoox forum, can it?!