GentooX and bittorrent

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
hill

GentooX and bittorrent

Post by hill »

Hi guys , I didn't really know where to put this question.

I have gentoox on my xbox and it works great. Are there any console based torrent apps that also include a webui? I want to start the torrent and check on it from a web browser. Thanks.
telepromptzor

Post by telepromptzor »

If you're dead set on the webui, torrentflux is a php frontend to bittornado. There's really no console interface for it though, you can upload, start, monitor, and control the torrents all thru the web. You might wanna give rtorrent a shot, there's no webui for it, but it's a pretty nice console torrent client. I've read that Azureus can be run headless, but I'm not sure how well that would do on an xbox, and I've never tried it. You might wanna check out some of the clients that use Libtorrent (not to be confused with libTorrent :wink:), perhaps some of those offer webui's as well.

I'm use an xbox with gentoo as my home torrent machine, I use rtorrent though. I'm very happy with it's performance.
hill

Post by hill »

Thank you :D I didn't know azureus could run in console mode. trying it now.
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

To be honest I have tried a few of these and have currently reverted to installing uTorrent under wine and using the VNC to review the status and a network share for auto loading the torrent files.

I always found that console based torrent clients never really gave you a lot of control. The two I can remember are:
-mldonkey with sancho (not web based interface but a remote client) which downloads from multiple networks but as far as torrents go does not allow you to only download certain files from a torrent (and for me at least does not work out of the box in gentoox).
-torrent flux even less control then mldonkey but web based
I wrote this!
engine360

Post by engine360 »

Have you tried a bittorrent client called "rtorrent":

Code: Select all

emerge --sync ; emerge rtorrent
I use this, and find it very easy to use and quite feature packed for a ncursers application. Also great when you couple this with "screen" and secure shell.

Code: Select all

emerge --sync ; emerge screen
Check out the Author's Website for updates and details.

libtorrent.rakshasa.no

Cheers...
jfox95

Post by jfox95 »

bump*

I have looked around and can't find anything. keep in mind i am a linux newb.

what is so good with using rtorrent and screen? what does screen actually do? examples of using it with rtorrent?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I use screen + rtorrent as engine360 mentions and haven't had an issue. But then, all I want to do is grab the torrent and don't need any extra special features. With screen enabled, you can log in via ssh (or telnet if you prefer), start up rtorrent, load up your torrent files and then close the ssh window. To check back, just ssh into your box again, pop up the screen and have a look. It's simple and a lot less overhead than gui versions.
leperkuan
Linux User

Re: GentooX and bittorrent

Post by leperkuan »

you could always use any torrent client and VNC server... then on the computer use VNC viewer to check on your torrents. Good way to keep stuff private eh?
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD