Weird issue for new install

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
peregrine

Weird issue for new install

Post by peregrine »

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this - just installed gentoox pro v4.1 on a soft-mod'd xbox (to drive E) using the stardust iso. After rebooting I tried to run 'magic' to make sure that I was up to date. When it ran a 'emerge --sync', I received a kernel panic in the kupdated process. The last message I saw before the panic was "journal-601, buffer write failed". I've never had this happen before with earlier versions of Pro, so wondered if this was a known issue before filing a bug.

Thanks
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

I have NEVER had that problem with any distribution on any computer.

That probelm relates to you filesystem. It's baskcally saying your filesystem is corrupted. Since we already know that the filesystem (which is really just one large file in this case) is perfectly good, I'm thinking there is something wrong with your hard drive. Hate to give you bad new like that, but that looks to be the case...

usually you would run fsck to check the disk but... I don't think that would help you here as I don't think there are any file system checking utilities for xfat. If this was a normal computer I would have you run the Matrox utility from the Ultimite Boot CD, but it's not... I think you may be SOL on this one... I hope others can prove me wrong...
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

maybe a bad download of pro, or even when it was installed, would recommend reinstalling.