Caution: upgrade to 2.4.22 didn't work

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
detroit
Novice

Caution: upgrade to 2.4.22 didn't work

Post by detroit »

I just did the upgrade following the instructions and when I rebooted, and went into linux, the xbox made a loud fan noise, then shut itself off. So, if you are expecting this upgrade to work like 'magic'.... I would only recommend doing it if you need to, and if you have a restore plan in place. VGA support does not require the new kernel... and I'm still not clear on what the benefits of upgrading are, so based on what happened in my test I can't recommend it yet, although it certainly exciting to see this support on its way.
SKIPPER
Linux User

Post by SKIPPER »

Worked fine for me
spathi
Novice

Post by spathi »

detriot - are you using home or pro?

I've just successfully updated the kernel on 2 boxes running home edition, worked fine.
tekmonster

2.4.22 patch worked for me too!

Post by tekmonster »

I use home and it worked for me, and it also fixed the distorted bootup too, as my xbox is usa and not pal, now i have a nice clean clear bootup on my tv . for me it was worth the patch just for that :D
%tekmonster%
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

I tested the upgrade on home2.1 on US console.
kadrim
Novice

Post by kadrim »

i tested this patch with a pal console and it didn't work
same effect, loud fan noise , xbox shutdown

tested on home 2.1
kadrim
Novice

Post by kadrim »

i'm not sure why but it has something to do with vga-output.
everytime my vga-box is connected the box kills itself. Today i connected my rgb-cable and everything worked fine.
Reconnected vga and its the same problem...
PotatoBob

Umm err

Post by PotatoBob »

well that kernel update worked for me BUT

most of my screen is black
ToeRag
Novice

not the fan

Post by ToeRag »

kadrim wrote:i tested this patch with a pal console and it didn't work
same effect, loud fan noise , xbox shutdown

tested on home 2.1
the loud fan noise you discribe; is the DVD/CDROM drive spinning up to FULL speed. I have also had that happen when trying to boot gentoox from time to time, some times it takes 3-5 times powering back up and selecting again, from evox menu .. but it does seem to boot. this is on a 1.5 xbox. My 1.1xbox has NEVER done that.

still waiting for the video/tv support for 1.4/1.5

EDIT:

well I patched (built the new kernel) and it works, with that said I mean it is as stable as before the patch. I have noticed some improved video for my 1.5 xbox with a TV as a monitor, however when I use my x2vga adapter it is worse than before. It used to display fine once it launched X. Now it's a mess, to the point where I'm afraid to leave my monitor on for fear of damage.

When using connected to a TV it still has scrambled video once it goes into the splash screen from the evox menu, the booting TEXT screens are fine (which wasn't before) but when it goes into X the video is back to scrambled.

if anyone would like to see this I can record an .mpeg of the process.
~ToeRag.