Implementation of Addional Swap & Temp area via XYZ for

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
murraykj
Banned Losers

Implementation of Addional Swap & Temp area via XYZ for

Post by murraykj »

Hello,

Here is a suggestion for those who may be using the Gentoox on top of the FatX file system.

presently as a example some of us may be using E and F to contain the root file system files for our Linux installation. Our Swap files are located here also.

We have additional parts of the drive under FATX which are used to Cache different types of information such as Drive Letters X Y and Z

each drive letter in these partitions can contain around 700 Megs of data which is around 2 gigs combined.

These areas are not being utilized at the moment to my knowledge other than by other microsoft applications for the purpose of caching during normal operation of various dvd media.

Our Swap file can be moved to this area I think, and be refreshed each time the user boots the operating system. This should ensure a fresh unfragmented Swap file, and possibily free up some space on E or F

Another possibility is to mount the area for temporary usage during system operations, such as archiving similar to a tempory working folder but again having the option to be cleared on rebooting.

the space is there so we may as well use it.

Cheers!

Kenneth J. Murray
Newfoundland
Canada
Xbox V1.0 Gentoox 4 Home on FatX
Bios Ver X2_4980 Evox +3935 W/ 6.01 XBELDR
Mod 28 Wire Protected Socket By Vincent (-:
Maxtor 40G Hdd (Donated By Friend)
Intec Xbox LCD Display Unit (sis lost tha scart)
Motorola WE800G Wireless Bridge (Good...)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Linux rarely uses over 256mb of swap, let alone 512mb of swap. In historical versions of the Linux kernel, swap space was even limited to either 128mb or 256mb.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
murraykj
Banned Losers

File system swap file

Post by murraykj »

This is true under many circumstances, However...

As you run other applications on top of the Linux we can quicky run out of ram and it has to be swapped out. The console has only 64megs of ram. I know that this is a bit of a slower process however. Once the applications themselves are booted up they seem to function fine. In certain circumstances we may not actually need the speed but the functionality of the application itself.

Best Wishes,

Kenneth J. Murray
Newfoundland
Canada
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

murraykj with the greatest respect in the world, are you mental?
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
murraykj
Banned Losers

Linux Swap

Post by murraykj »

If the swap file thats used on E during a FatX Install was can be moved to aonther Fatx drive it would free up additional space on E for the game saves or additional audio tracks that may be there by the original dash program.

I did not say to resize it.

another thing to point out is that just because not everyone is on your understanding of the linux system.

I'm not a programmer, and you have already implemented my concepts into this product.

You should be open and respect other peoples views on the topic.

Thats what the fourms are for in the first place, discussion and exchange of ideas.

My goal is to get users booted up as easy as possible. I did not come here to be bashed on or insulted.

your previous comment is not within the scope of discussion, and is degrading and insulting. It does not have anything to do with making the software better for the end users.

Mine are.

Kenneth J. Murray
Newfoundland
Canada
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

To be perfectly honest, after the trashy other posts I read of yours I stopped reading half way through this one in an attempt to save my precious time.

Still, its a moronic idea since the Xbox will randomly wipe the cache partitions when it needs to do so.

Anyway, you've earned a re-banning. Not that youll get to read this.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

/signed