Hi Gentoox Community!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
wahman143

Hi Gentoox Community!

Post by wahman143 »

Greetings,
Been a Gentoo user for almost a year now, and I finally got the nerve up to install it on my xbox. Just wanted to post up and say thanks for the great distro / documentation / everything :)

I will admit, after installing Gentoo on numerous PC architectures, it did look kinda funny on my xbox...but at the same time, it was very cool to see Gentoo(x) show up on my TV screen!

A small question, and if I missed it in the docs, I apologize:
Does Gentoox generally function the same as Gentoo? Obviously the update system (magic) is different, but command-wise/app-wise, is it generally the same?

Thanks again ShALLaX and the Gentoox community for putting this together - just one more thing I can install Gentoo on :)

Take it easy,
Wah 8)
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Ya Shallax is one cool guy to do all this work in his spare time for us, kudos Shallax.

An Xbox is 99.9% PC, there are a few differences. Only 2D graphics driver, so no 3D apps will run. However Xbox-Linux.org had the goal that all XLinux distros should be ported over with as little changes as possible so it can stay backwards compatible with PC software and since the Xbox is like a PC (Celeron/P3 CPU, HD, DVDRom drive) then most apps will work fine.

Only thing that makes things lag is the 64MB ram limit. It is possible to upgrade the ram to 128MB but it's hard and only if you have a <1.6 xbox.

Just be carful with things like Xorg window system and kernel options as obvoisly the Xbox only has a PCI bus and no PCI slots and things like the RTC are in a capicator and all things like that. Not much different so most stuff should work out of the box.

Edit, incase your wondering, Xbox mobo is based on the original Nforce (Nvidia) motherboard design.