Hard drive hell!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Hard drive hell!

Post by cheesyboofs »

Shallax you should stick to Maxtor drives, I've got 8x40Gb, 2x160Gb and 2x200Gb and I swear by um', years ago I used Seagate drives but they aren’t as reliable as they used to be. What ever you do steer clear of western digital and fujitsu drives, I am for ever swapping these out at work... and when you said you by them from a shop!!! are you mad? I hope its not PC (Dixons) World... I get mine form http://www.dabs.com/uk
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Just took a peek at dabs.com/uk and the couple drives I checked there are about 1.5x the price of the same drives at some local shops here...
Zombie13
Linux User

Post by Zombie13 »

I swear by Maxtors too, I've never had one fail. Fujitsu drives have given us hell at work, so I wouldn't touch them.

I've just bought a 120GB Western Digital for my MythTV box. I hadn't heard about any problems with them, but regardless - for the sake of a few quid, I should have stayed with a Maxtor...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

250 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 @ dabs.com (incl tax) = £90.31

250 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 @ local shop (incl tax) = £72.86 ($153.90 CDN)

Plus locally I don't need to pay shipping. Dunno if dabs.com charges too much or if electronics are just more expensive in the UK, but that's a sizeable difference =/
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

clpalmer, I take it your not from the UK and neither is this shop?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

No, hence the (CDN) tag after the price. I'm in Canada =)
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Then my friend this is a bit of a pointless conversation, I was addressing Shallax at the start of this thred who lives in the UK. Knowing that he and I live in the UK means that there is really only one ‘local’ PC shop (PC World) that he could have been referring to. I couldn’t believe that a man of shallax’s caliber would resort to shopping at PC ripoff rather than ordering online.
It’s pointless having comments from people outside of the UK in this thred saying how cheep the drives are half way around the world, in fact I’m sure we could get someone from the Fujitsu factory to tell us how cheep he gets drives with his staff discount of the five fingered kind.
Granty

Post by Granty »

cheesyboofs wrote:Then my friend this is a bit of a pointless conversation, I was addressing Shallax at the start of this thred who lives in the UK. Knowing that he and I live in the UK means that there is really only one ‘local’ PC shop (PC World) that he could have been referring to.
Try 'Wafford Electronics' http://www.savastore.com/ ;) There is life outside of pcworld cheesypoofs :wink:
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

hehe, I live in Luton, the location of the Watford sister store, its within walking distance from where I live. Ten years ago they where ok and cheep now they never have any stock and they flog second hand goods, trust me! Still if you go down to the Luton branch you don’t have to queue any more, word has got around and the place is always empty.

http://www.savastore.com/products/contact/

Ironic the map points to the Luton branch, no mention of Watford!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, I shop at Watford Electronics on Dallow Road (http://www.savastore.com) and have done for years - its relatively local, about 20-30 miles away. They have always had what I want in stock but the Queues on Saturdays are hell - much better to go on a week day. I use them when I need stuff immediately and can't wait for mail delivery... and I guess when they don't have stock there's PC World on the other side of the M1 in Dunstable (but thats only when I'm really desperate) ;p. When I can afford to wait for delivery I swear by Dabs.com or Scan.co.uk (though I hate Citilink whom Scan use).

I swear by Maxtors being cheap and loud... never trusted them. Funnily enough I got a Western Digital after reading that they run cooler than any other drives out there (this ones at least 10C cooler at all times than my old Seagate!).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Dude there is a PCworld round the corner from Watford Electronics
Adress
Map
G4/5 Mac's are shipped with Western Digital drives, I'm changing them all the time...
Anyway each to his own I spoze, guess you must live close to me then Shallax! Dunstable / Leighton?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hrrm, thats the PC world I was talking about - but I think I go a backwards-ass way to get to it ehehe.

Yeah, instead of going straight over the roundabout just after B&Q, I go left, then get to Tesco and go right at the roundabout and cross back under the Motorway - oops, didnt realise you could go straight over that roundabout to get to the same place - that'll be a time saver now! Haha, that literally takes out about 10 minutes of driving, I feel ashamed ;p
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

That is so funny, so some use came out of this pointless thread after all!