unable to install glib 2.8.1

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
BCIcdrz

unable to install glib 2.8.1

Post by BCIcdrz »

im trying to update my glib, but after /configure and make and make install

or emerge glib

gtk or even emerge -V glib will sees 2.6 somthin, new gtk needs 2.7.1 or higher... spent 6 hours trying to fig how.. really hard for me (3 day old linux newb)

I was able to get my printer to work (HP psc 1210v) but i want to get its scanner to work.

any ideas why i cant get it to update?
BCIcdrz

Post by BCIcdrz »

yawn, gussig this forum section not read alot
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I'm kinda confused as to which version of glib you're trying to install and which one you have. Are you downloading a version and compiling it or are you using emerge? Emerge doesn't necessarily have the newest versions of things. It takes time to make packages out of the releases. If you want the latest release of something, you'll often have to download it and compile yourself.

If you do that, I don't believe emerge will show you the latest version you just installed cuz it doesn't know you installed it manually. However, if you use emerge and get the version of gtk and glib it has, they should work fine together. Why do you need a newer version of either?

And what does the glib and gtk problems have to do with your printer and scanner drivers? Please elaborate a little more on your problems. The clearer you are, the more likely you are to get a response.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

eep!

im trying to update my glib, but after /configure and make and make install
use emerge glib

if there is an error, output here what it says

is there a masked package for it?