What is development environment of a Gentoox coder?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
JohnDead666

What is development environment of a Gentoox coder?

Post by JohnDead666 »

I've been programmer for what I consider to be almost forever but still I didn't do any work on linux or XBOX yet. So I've downloaded the quite impressive Gentoox Pro 2.0a edition.

And ... where do I start?? I am not the most familiar with Linux still.

What are the IDE or setup usually used by people who contribute seriously? I can't imagine myself editing on my work PC and ftp-upload file to compile them on the xbox...and what about debugging?

Is there remote software to allow a more intuitive development environment? Or is it basically good old days?

Can someone describe one usual setup?

Thank :)
rocketeer
Pro

Re: What is development environment of a Gentoox coder?

Post by rocketeer »

JohnDead666 wrote:I've been programmer for what I consider to be almost forever but still I didn't do any work on linux or XBOX yet. So I've downloaded the quite impressive Gentoox Pro 2.0a edition.

And ... where do I start?? I am not the most familiar with Linux still.
What do you want to do??
JohnDead666 wrote:What are the IDE or setup usually used by people who contribute seriously? I can't imagine myself editing on my work PC and ftp-upload file to compile them on the xbox...and what about debugging?
Contribute to what?
My guess is that an IDE for any programming language is too heavy to run on an Xbox. I'd go for a text editor of your choice and helper applications like make, ant, or whatever exists for your language.
JohnDead666 wrote:Is there remote software to allow a more intuitive development environment? Or is it basically good old days?

Can someone describe one usual setup?
I don't believe there is a usual setup. Everyone has their own flavour. Me myself use emacs for all programming.
JohnDead666 wrote:Thank :)
Good luck!