connect a sony psp to gentoox

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
taconinjas

connect a sony psp to gentoox

Post by taconinjas »

i've been fooling around with the idea of connecting a psp to linux on the xbox for a while now, and now i have figured out a way make it work! this took a lot of work to figure out. i haven't seen anything on the net about this yet, so here it is. now we can exchange files on the xbox and the psp with no computer in between. first, boot gentoox with the psp unplugged and open the terminal program in super user mode. now enter

mkdir /mnt/psp/

this sould make a folder called /psp/ in the /mnt/ directory. now plug in the psp and activate usb mode. open the home folder and go to the /dev/ directory and look for a block device(three squares red blue green, with a shortcut arrow at the bottom) named sda1. it will be about halfway down the menu. if you don't see this file, unplug the psp, then plug it back in, then leave the /dev/ directory and come back. the file sda1 should be there. if it's not, then repeat the last two steps and try again. if you do see it, that means you are properly connected. on to the next step. go back to the terminal and type in:

mount -t vfat /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/psp/

bingo! psp should be successfully mounted and you can veiw files in /mnt/psp/. then you can split the window veiw and exchange files between xbox and psp... :D
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Well anyone who knew that the PSP turns into a memory stick reader/writer when in USB mode could have figured this out themselves, but still a nice little tut for those who didn't know.

Also, I'm pretty sure you could just do

Code: Select all

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/psp
instead of typing out all that stuff. That's how I mount my USB storage devices.
taconinjas

Post by taconinjas »

actually it didn't work like that(said directory didn't exist?). i'll try again. i'm pretty new to linux so i am proud of myself for figuring this out
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

plug in your psp, then type dmesg post what it shows here, you will probibly need to load scsi/usb pen drive style modules to access it
taconinjas

Post by taconinjas »

well, like i said, it works this way. :)
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

taconinjas wrote:well, like i said, it works this way. :)
hah, I skipped right down to the third post, shoulda took my time I guess
taconinjas

Post by taconinjas »

actually you were right, trevante.
instead of typing that type this

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/psp/

as long as sda1 shows up in /dev/ it should mount with on prob.
remember, it's /dev/sda1 , not /dev/sda1/. :shock: