Successful magic upgrade to kernel 2.6

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Successful magic upgrade to kernel 2.6

Post by ShALLaX »

Post experiences here please.

Quick tip for successful upgrading:

Once Magic has finished, backup your ENTIRE E: partition, then format your E: partition, then transfer your backup back to E:. Then boot up and run `emerge mozilla-firefox`
Last edited by ShALLaX on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
shadycady
Linux User

Yee Hah

Post by shadycady »

I will be "testing" this theory for myself at about 10:30 tonight.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thank you - I look forward to hearing your results.
hobbes
Linux User

Post by hobbes »

uhh.... question.... i started magic about 1 hour 30 mins ago.... does this mean that my ugrade will be 50% updated and 50% semi upgraded? anyway, ill tell you whats up when its done. i dont need to format E, theres nothing on it but (insert XDK made apps here). i think.......
shadycady
Linux User

just wondering

Post by shadycady »

is the fatx problem the one and only thing i am looking for to go wrong or... In other words is this the only thing stopping me from updating correctly and booting the 2.6 kernal GentooX
Xenium Ice (OS 2.3.0); 320Gb WesternDigital HD; Evox M8+ bios; Linux dual-boot GentooX; Lastest CVS build XBMC with built-in XLink Kai: Evolution VII (Global Network Gaming); XBOX to USB adapter . . .
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The fatx issue is all I can see that could go wrong right now.

hobbes: If it showed you a screen "YOUR VERSION OF GENTOOX IS DEPRECATED" youre fine... if not, then dont worry. Just run magic again after (or hit ctrl-c now and start magic again)
shadycady
Linux User

Re: just wondering

Post by shadycady »

shadycady wrote:is the fatx problem the one and only thing i am looking for to go wrong or... In other words is this the only thing stopping me from updating correctly and booting the 2.6 kernal GentooX
Hey is it safe to run magic while you are making these changes noted for *update* and *update2* on the front page or ... do I have to wait for the O.K. again (do these big changes that you are making have any impact to Magic)
Xenium Ice (OS 2.3.0); 320Gb WesternDigital HD; Evox M8+ bios; Linux dual-boot GentooX; Lastest CVS build XBMC with built-in XLink Kai: Evolution VII (Global Network Gaming); XBOX to USB adapter . . .
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No no, magic is "safe".. if there were any more issues, I'd let you know. The updates are to do with the actual distribution recompilation im doing (pro 2.0 home 4.0 etc...). Sorry, I should have been more specific.
hobbes
Linux User

Post by hobbes »

so, seeing as im in home 3.0 (couldnt find pro v1.1 disk or it was too scratched) my last update took about 78 hours. and that was a year ago. this is a fresh install of 3.0, so i should be fine, correct?
i find it odd that in the past year and a half of using gentoox ive had less problems than with fedora 3 on my pc.
hobbes
Linux User

Post by hobbes »

i got something about an xserver patch failed. dunno is this is good, tried to post it from the box but firefox nor konqueror worked. ill try again
shadycady
Linux User

good god

Post by shadycady »

well i am at work then accessing my home computer over and then working on my xbox from here so i am having a long distance chat with my xbox so i dunno if its on fire or what but it is running slowly .. god this is the worst Spring Break

so how long do you estimate having Home 4.0 out if I keep this up you might be done before i get this update done :)

well gotta do something constructive and work just doesn't cut it :(
shadycady
Linux User

well looks like you are right

Post by shadycady »

Well it looks like it worked. I had some small errors but everything worked like it used to no big changes so 2.6 works but alot more work

run magic
ftp into xbox save all e: partition
reboot
format e:
copy backup of e: back (e: save of after magic update)
IT RUNS

i had some errors flash but everything looks well
shadycady
Linux User

Re: well looks like you are right

Post by shadycady »

shadycady wrote:Well it looks like it worked. I had some small errors but everything worked like it used to no big changes so 2.6 works but alot more work

run magic
ftp into xbox save all e: partition
reboot
format e:
copy backup of e: back (e: save of after magic update)
IT RUNS

i had some errors flash but everything looks well
So any idea of when Home 4.0 will be released I'm excited

I so long for Home 4.0 being available :)
britishseapower
Novice

Post by britishseapower »

i follow this (kind of)...in process of doing it.

When you say backup E: then format E:

Do you mean from within gentoox...

ftp or samba share the whole of / over to a pc (cant do this i imagine as files will be in use)...OR boot to a dash and ftp "gentooxx.xbe oldlinuz sprkrd.gz vmlinuz bzImage initrd.gz rootfs swap" over for the backup.

then format /dev/loop/0 or something.

then go back to a dash and copy them back....

I did an ftp install to E: originally.

Code: Select all

bsp root #
bsp root # df -ah
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop/0           4.0G  3.4G  550M  87% /
none                     0     0     0   -  /dev
none                     0     0     0   -  /proc
none                     0     0     0   -  /dev/pts
df: `/cdrom': No such file or directory
/dev/loop/0           4.0G  3.4G  550M  87% /
none                     0     0     0   -  /proc
none                     0     0     0   -  /dev
/dev/hda50            4.8G  4.6G  266M  95% /mnt/fatx/e
none                     0     0     0   -  /proc/bus/usb
bsp root #
bsp root # ls /mnt/fatx/e/
90x26  Backup  Games  SAVES        TDATA  Video    gentooxx.xbe  oldlinuz  sprkrd.gz  vmlinuz
Apps   CACHE   Music  SCREENSHOTS  UDATA  bzImage  initrd.gz     rootfs    swap       vmlinuz.NEW
bsp root #
bsp root #
confused....bsp
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Home v4.0 might be a LONG while (maybe a month or so). I need to rebuild and update ALL packages to use NPTL (its been a long time since i refreshed Home... so it needs a new kde which is 60 hours itself...). Pro v2.0 is nearing completion which I will probably release as a test for 2.6.

Im interested to know what errors you saw exactly.