Gentoox all messed up now after magic.

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
djdafreund
Novice

Gentoox all messed up now after magic.

Post by djdafreund »

Just filling your request Shallax to let you know if things go wrong. I went ahead and updated witrh 'magic' and after a long time, it rebooted and started to try to finish updates and got a "Error Occured while installing alsa", after 10 attempts, then got "Error occured while installing net.eth0" after 10 attempts. It told me based on those 2 errors, to restart magic after it reboots. But now, after boot up, it quits before loading anything at the start up screen (about 30 lines after starting), i was going to write down the message at the end, but as i look up at my big tv as i typed this, it's now all black.

So i turned off my box, and turned it back on again, and it seems to be booting fine now into Gentoox. My install is still on f (i was the one that tried new magic f drive shortly before the changes and noticed it worked just fine on my 250 gig drive). I guess i might run magic one more time as mentioned to make sure things are ok. Those are my findings for my trials today. I can pm you my ip address if still needed though of course.

Update- Yup, i guess i'll have to run magic again to hopefully fix remaining things. I looked up at the screen and noticed a "Sound Server Informational Message: Error while initializing the sound driver. device/dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directoryh)" message appearing on the screen after it finished loading into Gentoox. I'll try magic again to hopefully correct those 2 errors. I know the net.eth0 error is my network card, so i hope thats working at least now, or magic will be just a little hard to do. Hehe.

Update more- I'm sorry, i forgot to mention (just remembered when 'magic'd again. I choose 'sync'=yes the 1st time as i haven't done it in about 3-4 weeks, so THAT part is what might have messed things up. It's 'magic'ing now though again, with sync=no this time since i just did it to finish the 2nd part. So far so good. It just finished with "No need to reboot" HOWEVER after 'reboot' command, that's 2ce in a row it stops doing anything after about 15-20 seconds with nothing but my desktop screen and a partially blank blue taskbar at bottom (using xp theme). And seems to freeze. Light on front is constant red.
menelik

Post by menelik »

alsa and net.eth0 always fail after a magic (kernel upgrade i think). run magic fix alsa && magic
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

I'll keep that in mind about the kernal update errors being normal. I've never had that happen before with updating. Well, after rebooting a second time (didn't do the magic fix) as when i booted up this morning, everything, net and audio, was all working just fine now. And when i shutdown afterward, it shutdown just fine. So things are all in order.