USB-PS/2-Converter & Gentoox

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
weiterdenker

USB-PS/2-Converter & Gentoox

Post by weiterdenker »

Hi colleagues,

I have found a very nice keyboard w. trackball. Just the right thing for the living room if you want to use linux on the xbox from time to time.
Unfortunately, it's PS/2 only. So I bought an active PS/2 to USB converter that converts PS/2 mouse & keyboard into USB.
In general, it works. But :
- mouse movements are "uneven" (pointer jumps)
- frequently keys are repeated or missed or it screws up completely
(does not react anymore)

Looks like there is some kind of sync problem ?!?

The manual of the PS/2-USB converter says "no drivers needed". On the other hand it says somewhere later, that neccessary drivers will be loaded by windows automatically. Does this tell me I it needs drivers anyway ? Naturally, I don't have any drivers for Linux nor the xbox ...

Does anyone know if there are such drivers for Gentoox ? Or, where to dig into to configure such a thing within Gentoox ?
Other idea : Could an active USB-Hub in the middle help (don't have one) ?

P.S.:
Yes, I used the search function here ...
I've read a lot here about keyboards / usb / ps/2 and the like. But, all of that doesn't solve my problem.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

If it doesnt work by just plugging it in, its unlikely to work properly :( The drivers for this type of hardware are built into the kernel itself.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
weiterdenker

Post by weiterdenker »

Hi,

well, that's a pitty. On the other hand - as I did do some device driver work on Linux 0.99 Patch level 13 (which is quite some years ago:-) - may I can do something myself if you point me the right direction ... ?!?

The mouse (trackball) works not too bad. But the keyboard freezes after some keys and sometimes repeats key as said before. I switched of key repeat and now it just freezes... Nearly shure this is a handshake/timing problem ...
ShALLaX wrote:If it doesnt work by just plugging it in, its unlikely to work properly :( The drivers for this type of hardware are built into the kernel itself.
honukele
Novice

Post by honukele »

Did you look at this xbox-specific ps2 to usb converter?

magicxfps.com and farmerentertainment.com

There is a press release about it here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

no NO NO! :o

This does NOT do what you are thinking. It converts keyboard and mouse signals into Xbox controller signals. I.e. plug a keyboard in, and it will emulated a mouse in Linux.

Think about it logically... xbox games have no keyboard or mouse support, a little "box" isnt going to magically add native keyboard support for typing into the programme!

[/rant] :p
honukele
Novice

Post by honukele »

Shallax - thanks again for the great product. Also, I am glad to see that you are feeling better.

But seriously, dude. You need to lighten up. My post said "did you look at this . . .?" not "this is EXACTLY what you are looking for . . ." Personally I have a USB keyboard that cost me $20.00 at Compusa and works perfectly. I happened to see the press release about that box thingy at xbox-scene.com and thought it might be helpful.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It was mock-agressive. I guess it didnt show up. However, one person suggests this... 1000 people read it.. 1000 people dont understand what it really does... 1000 people spread the word and so on.

My motto is, if you dont know, dont say.

Youll also notice this conversation has been had before on these forums.
weiterdenker

Post by weiterdenker »

Hello again,

well - I am actually thinking about what ShALLaX said - pure keyboard and mouse for Linux on the XBOX. Not a game pad emulation etc.

So I am still interested in digging into how GentooX manages the keyboard. The biggest advantage of the keyboard I wanna get to work is that is uses infrared instead of radio frequency for transmission. Works well over 3 metres distance - you can forget any RF keyboard for that (at least any I know).

Would it be possible to tell where the keyboard stuff is defined / controlled ? If I remember right, the keyboard driver thing is bind into the kernel during build time, is it ? Damn, it's quite some years ago ... :-)

ShALLaX wrote:It was mock-agressive. I guess it didnt show up. However, one person suggests this... 1000 people read it.. 1000 people dont understand what it really does... 1000 people spread the word and so on.

My motto is, if you dont know, dont say.

Youll also notice this conversation has been had before on these forums.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you really want to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, you could try this one, it claims to work on windows, linux, mac, netware and sun.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
weiterdenker

Post by weiterdenker »

Hi all,

well, found out something new :
There seems to be a pb with the power the XBOX supplies on the game/USB ports. I attached an active USB-Hub (with external power supply) to the XBOX-Port and the keyboard/mouse to that one via an PS/2-USB converter (from a local computer store). Got less errors now but still not perfect.
Then I tried a wireless (RF) keyboard-mouse combo w. USB :
- works great with the active USB Hub (approx. 1.5 m range)
- works limited w./o. the active USB Hub (approx. 0.5 m range)

...still want to understand the keyboard handler of Linux ...
nobspangle wrote:If you really want to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, you could try this one, it claims to work on windows, linux, mac, netware and sun.
tuckie
Linux User

Post by tuckie »

You could always tap the 5v line from the hard drive connector and connect the controller ports to that instead.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

you do have a sync problem ..but more a problem with PS/2 standards and USB standards.. the PS/2 mouse keyboard is made to time with a ps/2 port that scannes the bus more offten then USB. I have seen the problem with soem Keyboards and some mice. in WM you should be aboe to adjust mouse scroll and do what windows does.. make it seam to no be a bad..