whole stock drive for a native fs

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
menelik

whole stock drive for a native fs

Post by menelik »

hey folks,

here is my prob: i dont wanna use the loop fs due to a great perf. loss. so i deciced to use a native fs. i know that this will work only beyond the 8gb barrier in general, but my idea was to make the whole stock drive to one main root fs + swap + bootpartition (if its needed, dunno?). i can do that as i have switchable drives. i thaught of using a bootcd eg. the gentoox bootcd to start that filesystem.
but how can i achieve that? plug the drive in my pc, make the partitions and move the rootfs of the gentooxcd on the drive?
any other clue to this?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Im pretty sure this topic has been beaten to death already. Try searching around on the forums.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
menelik

Post by menelik »

no, this topic hasnt been discussed deep enough. for example this is what you advised for such a sitation:

1) Boot your stardust cd
2) fdisk and format the drive
3) Mount the drive (mkdir /mnt/newdrive && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/newdrive)
4) Mount the CD (mount /dev/hdb /mnt/temp)
5) Decompress the distro.rar file (on the cd) to your newly formatted drive (cd /mnt/newdrive && unrar /mnt/temp/distro.rar)
6) Mount the rootfs (mkdir /mnt/loopback && mount -o loop /mnt/newdrive/rootfs /mnt/loopback)
7) Copy the contents of the mounted rootfs to your new drive (cp -avx /mnt/loopback /mnt/newdrive)

ok, thats fine. same way i'd go. but:

how do you wanna fdisk the whole drive when you even cant break the predefined partition table? i cant get access to the whole drive. i dont need c, e etc and yes, i do know that msdash wont work then. my plan is to get: 9,5 gb for hda2 with bootflag and 256mb as swap on hda1.

do i need to plug the drive into my pc to make new partitions?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the predefined partition table is stored in the bios, you need to create a standard partition table on the disk it's as easy as the steps you have written.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
menelik

Post by menelik »

is the system startable through the gentoox loader or do i have to run cromwell for this? im asking because the loader only got the option fatx or stardust...
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you have the latest loader it should add an option for native providing you have an active partition.
menelik

Post by menelik »

i've tried hours and cant get it working. here is what i've done:

made 2 partitions, hda2 linux native ext3 with boot flagand hda5 linux swap.
i copied all the files from distro to the harddisk and edited fstab.
now i wanna make a bootdisk to run it. i gave xebians bootdisk a try, it works except that vmlinuz is different due to different kernel versions. so i tried to replace that vmlinuz with the stardust one which didnt work. so i tried to work with stardust as bootdisk. i edited the linuxboot.conf on the bootdisk to:

kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 devfs=mount kbd-reset xbox=hdd
xboxfb y

i thaught that with this way i could let the gentoox loader think that it loads stardust but actually loads my partition. anyway, the loader wants its disk and dont accept it.
i also tried to make a bootdisk of the distro.rar except swap and rootfs. i edited the initrd to
mount -t reiserfs /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /ram
#mount -o loop /cdrom/rootfs /ram
but this doesnt work either as i dont have a native boot option at startup.
now i really dont have any idea how to solve this problem. i dont wanna use cromwell as my default bios and have to use a bootdisk. any clues?
menelik

Post by menelik »

hi again,

solved the problem why the gentoox loader didnt see my native drive. i handt copied vmlinuz, initrd and linuxboot.cfg to the root of my dir. now it works very well.
is it possible to give c about 10 mb to load the gentoox loader from it? im not surer how to mix up the partitions as they are predefined if used with the standards.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

why don't you just flash the loader on to your modchip/tsop?
menelik

Post by menelik »

cause i need my actual bios for other purposes, xbmc for example ;)

the bootdisk works very fine. a 10 mb boot fatx partition would be much nicer too ;)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

In that case I would just boot gentoo from a CD