Error 16 prevention!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Error 16 prevention!

Post by cheesyboofs »

Just a quick question, does the Gentoox bios prevent you getting an error 16? For those that don’t know how one gets and error 16, if you leave an Xbox off and disconnected from the mains for a few days the real time clock capacitor will discharge and your clock will reset.
Then when you do power on your Xbox it will look for the MS dashboard so you can set the clock, if it can’t find the MS dashboard it will flag an error 16!
What will happen if you leave the Xbox off and the capacitor discharges? Can you reset the clock from in Gentoox?
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Not sure if that answers my question, I'm pretty sure once you are in this predicament you cant boot anything, all you can do is put a mod chip in your Xbox and also an unlocked hard drive with the MS dash already on it. This is all only if the Gentoox bios/loader doesn't circumvent this problem.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

Is ur xbox modded.... If not why not call M$ and ask what they would have u do...
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

Sorry i didn't read much into your first question, I just saw the question can you reset you clock in gentoox.

Now I read more into this you don't have the problem but your wondering how to get out of this predicament if so happens.

Here is a few things i can give you.

One is if i recall back, error code 16 still allows your to boot from a Microsoft .XBE file aka a normal game that you get in the stores. If you did a soft mod usually there is a file in the UDATA drive that can load a second dashboard through a game. Depending on the soft mod i'll explain more on that if needed.

But if I recall back more the clock loop error doesn't give you an error code (well for the mechassault soft mod at least). It will try to boot and will give you a quick green screen and reboot, over and over again, with that your stuck and you can't boot from anything.

Second there is a really cool linux tool out there xboxhdm. Which allows you too boot from a live cd on your pc to access your xbox hard drive fat X files so you can fix the problem there and lock and unlock your hard drive. There is a lot you can do with this program and I am willing to explain, because it helped me put a new hard drive in without a mod chip a one step process, so I know a decent about this program.

Third fix is just to set up your exploits to UDE or UXE so you don't have to worry about the clock loop error.

Also give me some more info like
■What exploits do you have
■What is your default dashboard
■How did you install your soft mod

And to answer the second question you can't access gentoox with the clock loop error.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Thanks for the indepth reply.

I have flashed the onboard TSOP with the Gentoox loader.bin and have put a new blank harddrive with ONLY Gentoox on it NO Ms dash or ANY other dash. I am woried because I don't KNOW what will happen if the box spends any lenth of time powered off. I wan't to know if a work around has been incorperated into the bios quoted.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You can leave it powered off as long as you like.. at worst, the clock will go to some stupid date, but once linux is back up you should be able to run "date" and set it again.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

First off I just read your user profile and with the tutorials you wrote I now know what method you used, then i saw your post, so now and on I am going to read user profiles before hand.

As said here http://www.xbox-linux.org/Clock_Loop_Problem_HOWTO clock loop only works with the soft mod install, you flashed your TSOP, so the hardware install method doesn't apply to the clock loop, so your good.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Thank you both! :wink: