Successful Home v3.2 soft-modded xbox Native G: install

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Kali

Post by Kali »

partition table are also hardcoded in the xbox linux kernel
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/x ... iew=markup
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

All due respect, but linux does not write the partition table to your kernel. In Bios partition schemes must be flashed or loaded via bfm - ala pbl, nkpatcher, etc.
cory1492
Novice

Post by cory1492 »

Sourceforge CVS viewer appears to be down ATM

Chinny - does that mean that my custom table _was_ changed by fdisk and thats why xbpartition no longer sees the custom table that I origionally wrote, but for whatever reason the dashboards are honoring the reduced F size according to the customized&fdisked partition table?

Thats what I think is going on at any rate, but I dont have the time/experience to start digging through the partition table (let alone figure out how to access it ;) )
Xbox + X3 + 80GB Maxtor + Gentoox Home 3.2
No loopbacks, and I still have my F drive for xbox apps!
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Correct - What is happening is that you have your default in kernel partition scheme, either .06 or .67 (F takes all, or G takes past 137). Then you create an on disk partition at sector 0 (if you'd like to take a look, emerge hexedit and hexedit your hda device - you'll see directory entries). Gentoo then creates it's own partition table at exactly the same spot.

What happens on next boot is that your bios does not recognize the on disk partition and reverts to the in bios partition scheme.

The fix is theoretically easy -either

a) rewrite xbpartition to understand and write around linux partition tables
-or-
b) change xbpartitioner to write the table at a different safe sector, and change your bios to search for the table at the new location (much easier than a).

I have the source for xbpartitioner, but not for evtool. Once I have the source for both I'll be able to get to work and get a patch out pretty quickly.