HDD on DVD DRive Cable

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
SnAtcH
Linux User

HDD on DVD DRive Cable

Post by SnAtcH »

Hey folks, i wanna replace my dvd drive with a 120 GB IDE ATA HDD, what do i have to do in gentoox.. to get it to work :) i dont know the location of the drive, and if i have to mount it somehow, or if i have to get a new filesstem on it..

Greetz

SnATcH
antiflag1980
Novice

Post by antiflag1980 »

It's /dev/hdb, use fdisk /dev/hdb to partition it (type ? and it'll give you a bunch of options) and then use mkreiserfs /dev/hdb1 or mke2fs /dev/hdb1 to format it, I don't recall if you need some sort of switch like -f or something to format it, you'll figure it out. and then you'll need to add a line to /etc/fstab for /dev/hdb1 so it gets mounted at every boot. I'm sure there are a million guides out there that explain the process, they don't need to be xbox specfic, the only thing you need to know is that it will be /dev/hdb, cromwell probably won't detect it but it doesn't matter because once the kernel boots it will be detected.
Taily
Adept

Re: HDD on DVD DRive Cable

Post by Taily »

SnAtcH wrote:Hey folks, i wanna replace my dvd drive with a 120 GB IDE ATA HDD, what do i have to do in gentoox.. to get it to work :) i dont know the location of the drive, and if i have to mount it somehow, or if i have to get a new filesstem on it..

Greetz

SnATcH
First you need to think about the fysikal needs.
You should replace the ide cable with an ordianry one, and you should get an alternative power source for the second hdd (if you wan't to use them simontniously)
After this, it shouldn't be to hard, just make sure you make the drive slave.. then startup gentoox.
After this, use "su -" to get root acces. And then run fdisk /dev/hdb to partition your new drive..
And finally just eg mkreiserfs /dev/hdb1 (you might need to reboot after fdisk