[Newbie] Questions about installation...

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
[D]J

[Newbie] Questions about installation...

Post by [D]J »

UPDATE: Sorry, i just noticed about the "NEWBIE FORUM" so posted the message there, please moderators delete this one, thank you!

Hi, I'm very new to this... I bought a premodded xbox last year and recently I've decided to give xbox Linux a try because everyone is saying great things about it! :) Well, I have many doubts and questions which need answers before starting with the installation (I don't wanna fudge things up... :) ):

1) From what I can understand to install Gentoox on my xbox I just need to burn the Stardust.iso on a CD and launch it (hmm... my Samsung DVD can read CDs or just DVDs?). Am I right?

2) Where do you guys suggest me to install Gentoox? I read that "native" installation (drive F:) is better because it has faster drive access but as downside it will destroy all data on the F: partition. Hmmm, since I never installed anything on my F: partition, are there any sistem files there by default which will get deleted? Am I safe installing it on F: or do you guys suggest me to install it on other drives? By the way, I still have the original HDD in my xbox console, didn't modify/upgrade anything yet (and don't plan to do anythime soon).

3) My premodded xbox has a switch on the left side of the console to turn on and off the modchip. When modchip is on my xbox starts with the EvolutionX dashboard (evoxdash.xbe), when off it starts with the original M$ dash (xboxdash.xbe). Now, will I be able to install Gentoox on a configuration like this? I'm asking this because I read in the installation manual:

"If you have a flashable TSOP or modchip, you can tell the installer to flash it with a modified Cromwell BIOS for Gentoox. This BIOS will make Gentoox autoboot each time the Xbox is turned on (after a 10 second delay or when you press the 'A' button on your Xpad)"

So, installing this BIOS (and replacing the one I'm using now) am I going to loose the possibility to use the switch to boot with modchip on or off?

4) After installation is complete everytime that I want to run Gentoox do I need the Stardust CD? Is it possible to launch Gentoox as a normal application from EvolutionX or do I have necessarily to run it at the boot of the console?

5) Do I need an USB mouse and keyboard for Gentoox? Are they needed also during installation or just to use the OS? Are there any compatibility problems or I can buy any USB mouse/keyboard for PC?

To sum it up all I want to do is keep my current configuration with the switch off (to go live with the original M$ dashboard) and the switch on (to use backups, run applications and hopefully also run Gentoox). Any answer will be greatly appreciated, sorry for being long but as I said I'm new to this and have may doubts... Thank you!
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

1. Yes. Your Samsung drive should also be able to read most CD-R's and DVD-R's.

2. Well, if you still have the stock harddrive, then at most, your F partition is only 2GB, which isn't enough for Gentoox (requires 4.5GB). Your best bet would be to install it on the E drive, but first make sure you have 4.5GB of free space.

3. Don't install cromwell, unless you want the box to be dedicated to linux. You can still install gentoox on the E drive while leaving your current configuration intact.

4. To run Gentoox from your dashboard, simply link it to E:\gentooxx.xbe. I forgot the code for it, but if I'm not too lazy, I'll look it up soon.

5. You don't need either, however, both are heavily recommended. Do note though, that if you buy a regular USB kb and mouse, you'll need to make or buy a USB adaptor for your Xbox. I made mine, and it wasn'y very hard at all. I just bought a cheap USB hub (got mine for 4.99 at Gamestop (from the PS2 section), and a breakaway cord, spliced both wires open and soldered the wires together according to color (with the exception of the yellow wire).

Installing Gentoox is very simple. Just make sure you don't install cromwell, do a native installation, or initialize the harddisk. Other than that, make sure you have something else to entertain you while you're waiting for it to install (can take up to an hour or more).
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

So there's no way to perform a native install and load from dashboard?
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

Chinny wrote:So there's no way to perform a native install and load from dashboard?
Um.. yes there is..
Its very easy, if yuo don't need F, you you do a native install
after this you only need to download Gentoox Loader (or cromwell/xcromwell) and put the .xbe files somewhere on C:\ or E:\.. then you just start the xbe as a normal application and linux will boot
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Okay. I don't have a native install and was afraid it would flash my bios and screw up my chip - does a native install flash your bios or does it ask you if you would like to flash to cromwell?
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

ask