Does the "Loader" take the ModChip's BIOS exclusiv

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
aarkvard
Novice

Does the "Loader" take the ModChip's BIOS exclusiv

Post by aarkvard »

I know you can play game backups, run linux, AND replace HW in this box....

However, I've seen nothing to indicate you can have all of it set up at the same time... (also nothing to indicate you can't)

I still want to play game backups from DVD's, original games, AND run Linux on a replaced HD.

Are all of these ideas compatible? You don't have to go into great detail unless you like (I am more than willing to listen/read), but I don't have the ModChip yet (still waiting on Samsung drive via UPS, then I'll order a Chip)

Any input appreciated.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, this is definitely possible.. though I would prefer that backups are not talked about on this forum due to legal reasons.

Basically, most modern modchips will come with 1024KB of flash ram.. most BIOSes are 256KB in size.. and it doesnt take a genius to realise that means you can fit 4 BIOSes onto one modchip.

Basically, in linux... cat bios1.bin bios2.bin bios3.bin bios4.bin > 1024k.bin then flash that.. and you have all the bioses in one file, then you select the bios to boot via dipswitches. If you have a Xenium, then you flash each 256k.bin seperately, then select which to boot from a menu.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
aarkvard
Novice

Gracias!

Post by aarkvard »

So, that was the definitive explanation I was looking for.

No one has answered on other forums, I'm guessing they think I'm retarded because these things would be readily obvious -- had I bought the stuff already.

So you MIGHT recommend a Xenium as opposed to the other 2 seemingly popular cards? (the Xecuter3 or the SmartXX/v2)

I had thought of buying the SmartXX, but I'll read more about the Xenium too.

Thanks for your help man.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I personally use Xeniums and Xecuter2.3's.. X2.3 is much better for development (easier to flash).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
aarkvard
Novice

Cool, thanks man...

Post by aarkvard »

One more question...

Just kidding =] Thanks.