Problems booting Stardust

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
rjbell4

Problems booting Stardust

Post by rjbell4 »

I've had this question in the newbie forum for over a week without any takers. I'm posting here (slightly edited and updated), thinking it's probably not a newbie issue...

I've having trouble booting Stardust. I downloaded the ISO just the other day and used Nero to burn the ISO to a Ritek G05 DVD-R (burned at 2X with my new NEC ND-2510A). I've installed an X-Chip, which I also just purchased. My Xbox appears to be a v1.0 series with a Thomson drive. I was running the "factory installed" Cromwell BIOS on my X-Chip when I attempted to use Stardust.

When I power on my Xbox, I get the expected "X-Chip Cromwell BIOS V1.0" menu. I select "Continue Cromwell", and then choose to boot from the DVD (/dev/hdb). With Stardust inserted, I get up to the image of Tux and the message "PCI: Failed to allocate resource 2(f8000000-f7ffffff) for 01:00.0", and then nothing -- the installation seems to hang. All I have is a blinking cursor. The orange light around the power button is lit solid (i.e., not blinking).

Also, if I try to flash a BIOS bank from the Cromwell menu, I'm able to flash a 256k bank with d:\BIOS\LOADER.BIN. However, if I attempt to chose "Switch to BIOS", my Xbox powers off and then appears to boot the normal dashboard, which then complains that it can't recognize the disc. (I'm guessing that means that it's unable to execute the LOADER.BIN BIOS and falls back on the system BIOS?)

Can anyone help? I've tried to be as thorough as possible, but let me know if I forgot to mention something. I should probably add that since I first tried this a week ago, I installed another BIOS for the X-Chip and successfully installed other software from a DVD burned the exact same way, so I think my Xbox shouldn't have problems with the DVD. Incidentally, if I try booting Stardust with this other BIOS, I just get the "bootsplash" screen for "Gentoox Loader (XBE) v4.5", and nothing else, with the Xbox continuously cycling the power led through all three colors; I'm assuming this is simply incomptability with this BIOS, and it's no big deal for me to switch back to Cromwell (or a different BIOS) for testing purposes.

Thanks in advance -- I'm really looking forward to getting Gentoo running on another one of my machines! :)
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

Alright here is a few things to try.

One I know there is problem with my Xbox and PBL when I load the bios, it stops when i have 3 or more controls, or certain controllers in. So give the Cromwell a boot with only a original Xbox (small or big one).

Two, Try using a different version of Cromwell.

finally,
I installed another BIOS for the X-Chip and successfully installed other software from a DVD burned the exact same way, so I think my Xbox shouldn't have problems with the DVD
Though you said it might not be the DVD, just give a CD-RW a try and see what happens and burn it at 2 or 4x speed.
rjbell4

Post by rjbell4 »

One I know there is problem with my Xbox and PBL when I load the bios, it stops when i have 3 or more controls, or certain controllers in. So give the Cromwell a boot with only a original Xbox (small or big one).
As it is, I'm already using only one Xbox controller, a large original one.
Though you said it might not be the DVD, just give a CD-RW a try and see what happens and burn it at 2 or 4x speed.
I tried a gently used Acer CD-RW already, and it failed miserably to read it. I don't have any more around. Is it really worth my time and money to try another CD-RW? My gut says "no", but please let me know if you think otherwise.

So that leaves:
Two, Try using a different version of Cromwell.
So far, I've only used the version of Cromwell that came "factory installed" on my X-Chip. I've half-heartedly tried other .bins, but they don't seem to work (they just reboot my Xbox, which they runs the normal BIOS). So, at the risk of sounding like a newb (which would give myself away), can you advise me where I can find various versions of Cromwell that should work with my X-Chip? So far it doesn't seem like just any old cromwell.bin will work...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I know for a fact your problem is the cromwell on your chip. You MUST flash with a later version of cromwell.. but preferably use my Gentoox Loader (provided on the CD and in the download package). The problem is the old cromwell didnt support large initrd.gz files... which Gentoox happens to use ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo