Clustering in Gentoox- Please Help Shallax!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
bgrill27

Clustering in Gentoox- Please Help Shallax!

Post by bgrill27 »

I posted this in the "newbie" section, but no response in 4 days.

If I installed Gentoox Home on my 2 v.1.0 boxes, and then installed distcc (http://distcc.samba.org/) would I be able to compile some source code over this cluster? Does Gentoox have the GNU C/C++ compiler built in, or would I need to install that too (as distcc is only a frontend enabling cluster support to the GNU compiler.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Of course it would work.. though trying it yourself would have answered this question ;\
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
bgrill27

Post by bgrill27 »

Thanks, but is the GNU C/C++ compiler built in (to the Home package) or will I need to install it?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It would be interesting running gentoo without a compiler, thats for sure. (In other words, yes.. its included.)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you may also want to take a look here
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
bgrill27

Post by bgrill27 »

Thanks- sorry for my lack of experience w/ linux- i'm still learning
antiflag1980
Novice

Post by antiflag1980 »

I've been using a mix of xboxes and pc's in my distcc farm forever now, there is no difference than if they were normal x86 computers, the setup is exactly the same, the only thing that would matter is if there was a comp of completely different arcitechture which I recently learned when trying to use my distcc farm to help compile gentoo on an imac I recently aquired. Hah, funny I just realized that the computer I'm typing on right now (imac G3 350mhz oc'ed@500mhz with 384mb) has less power than the DreamX I have (1.4Ghz 128mb). But oh well, I've had fun learning to install gentoo on a completely different arch and it was a bitch compared to x86 installs, I still haven't gotten drm working. When I saw this thread I thought you meant openmosix, that's the real question, I've tried it and for some reason xboxes and other pcs don't like each other, openmosix will share resources between pcs and share resources between xboxes just fine, but they dont like each other, on the xboxes openmosixview shows the pc nodes as being down and the same goes for the pcs showing the xbox nodes statuses as down. I couldn't ever figure it out.