PPTP VPN server

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
whahoo

PPTP VPN server

Post by whahoo »

Hi anybody,

I have just tried to activate the PPTP VPN server on my GentooX box.
"emerge pptpd" went fine, I can also configure it with Webmin. I setup the listen IP, the server IP pool, the client IP pool. I created a PPP User, but when I try to connect to the service with my MS Windows XP PPTP client, I won't get a response. I mean, I get a SYN ACK for my connection, but after sending the PPTP connection request, I only get an ACK for the packet, but no response from the pptpd.

Anybody into this? I have configured some pptpd with Suse distributions, but I never had this problem before. Gentoo / GentooX issue?

Greetz
Marco
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you might have more luck posting in the networking and security section on the gentoo forums.

I don't know if it's any use to you, but I use openvpn for my vpn, It's supported by unix and windows 2000/XP. And it's very easy to set up
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
whahoo

Post by whahoo »

Thanks for the tip. I am just emerging openvpn. We'll see if it's working for me. Config hints to avoid trouble?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I can't remember running into any, just follow the examples on the openvpn site. Start with no security and get that working, then add in pre-shared key and once you're happy with that move up to ssl.

The examples on the website assume you have your vpn gateways as routers but this doesn't have to be the case, provided you can add some static routes here and there. You only need to open port 5000 (udp) at one end of the connection (the end with a static IP is easiest)

It seems very robust, I've got one running in a production enviroment and you just turn it on and leave it. Even if the internet connection goes down and the IP address changes, it just reconnects itself.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
MSB

Help with OpenVPN

Post by MSB »

Can someone assist me with OpenVPN setup? I tried setting this up several times and gave up because OpenVPN refuses to start up on my xbox. I get the following:
* Starting openvpn for myhomelan... [ !! ]

Part of the problem could be that I am new to VPN setup on Linux and may not be too intuitive during setup. I would certainly appreciate a hand-holding by someone who has some time to do so.