Crashes, no xvkbd, no panel buttons

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
groovey

Crashes, no xvkbd, no panel buttons

Post by groovey »

Am I being stupid or is there something wrong with my GentooX because all I have gotten to do is this :

1. Install GentooX (F - install, 40G Maxtor, Box v1.0, M7)
2. Trying to run emerge sync and emerge xmule

It was compiling zlib, wxGTK and xmule for something like 20hrs. (I compiled the same packages with my 700 MHz Duron and Fedora Core 1 in less than 30 mins.) Never got it done. Crashed, and when I rebooted it, no xvkbd or any buttons in the XFCE4 panel was left. All this happened twice. I don't want to run magic, cause it takes so long time, and it'd probably only crash too. Is there someone who uses GentooX and xmule with it? I'd like to do the same. Also if there's someone who could already say that I truly am stupid (and please include the reason and the cure :) ) let me know!! Thanks ya all.

-Petteri
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

First off, I'm sure your 700MHz duron doesn't get by with 64MB RAM and a loopback filesystem.
Second it is most likely the dependencies that are taking time to compile, you probably don't have gtk+ installed which will take a while, where as the fedora core probably come with it pre compiled.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
groovey

Post by groovey »

Actually it only has 128M of RAM, which seems to be quite well occupied by gnome and other stuff. But you're right : I didn't come to think of the loopback filesystem. And it did stay compiling wxGTK for more than 8 hrs, after which the system crashed or other times became unusably unstable. I do think it's a bit strange long time, don't you? Well, anyway. Looks I'll just have to face it for now, that i can't get it up. Thanks anyway nobspangle.
classybum
Linux User

gentoox version

Post by classybum »

what version of gentoox did you install?
groovey

Post by groovey »

It was the previous, is it 3.0c then. I guess I should be trying these new releases now, as it is obvious that 3.0c probably is willing to do quite a big update through magic. Generally Linux on XBOX is one of the best things humankind has ever come up with. Suberb in everyway. :)