New 1st time install problems. *NEWBIE*

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Azzi

New 1st time install problems. *NEWBIE*

Post by Azzi »

OK, I thought I'd give this a go and see what all the fuss was about.

New install with the Home ver, managed to get it all working and ran magic and all the updates are installed (HOW LONG ?!?!?!)

Problems found;

Keyb and Mouse only work occasionally on boot, But a reboot normally sorts it.

Cannot get VNC working AT ALL, either through Web browser or VNC client. It just doesn't wanna connect.

loads of applications seem missing, (everything in /usr/bin ) Theres nothing in there looking at File Manager, Just a X11 folder. The icons are there for email etc, but all point to none existant files/folders.

Installation and Terminal fonts are TERRIBLE, even during the installation I couldn't read a damned thing. Remember the part that asks to to type a command to start the install. (Thank goodness I managed to figure out cut/paste)

I've tried runnimg magic again and its fully updated, so what went wrong ?
Its the first time I've used any *nix based OS, its a bloomin wierd system to get used to. Nothing seems intuative.
lotw
Pro

Re: New 1st time install problems. *NEWBIE*

Post by lotw »

Azzi wrote:Keyb and Mouse only work occasionally on boot, But a reboot normally sorts it.
Yes this does happen with home because he hasn't updated the BIOS on it to fix the USB problem. The easiest way to fix that problem is to disconnect the keyboard/mouse/controller at the BIOS boot screen, then plug them back in.

Azzi wrote:loads of applications seem missing, (everything in /usr/bin ) Theres nothing in there looking at File Manager, Just a X11 folder. The icons are there for email etc, but all point to none existant files/folders.
Remember that the default user is Gentoox, not root, so you will not be able to see all the files unless you switch users.