Is it ok to run "emerge system"?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Tyr

Is it ok to run "emerge system"?

Post by Tyr »

Is it ok to run emerge system with GentooX?

I have tried running it and it works on glibsc for hours and hours and says it has 48 more updates to do. I'm talking 6 hours etc.

I've stopped it in the middle of the process and now KDE isn't loading correctly.

Should I reinstall GentooX or rerun emerge system or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks
-=Tyr
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

Well emerge works fine, the problem is that everything that you Emerge in needs to be compiled and all of its dependencies. So if you where trying to do KDE it would take several days to download, compile, and install. Remember that the Xbox only has 64m of RAM, that really hurts the speed of the compiler.
Tyr

Post by Tyr »

Well I started it again and let it run for around 12 hours and it finally finished. The only problem now is that I did a etc-update when it was finished to merge the configs and it replaced around 15 configs and merged the others. I then did a reboot. Now, I can't SSH, Webmin, or FTP to it anymore. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to find out what the console looks like.

The reason I asked if you can run emerge system on the GentooX (Xbox) is because Shallax made the Magic script for updating his fixes and I was wondering if I did a emerge system if it would run over his Xbox specific settings/daemons etc.

/shrug may be time to reinstall :(
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the one to watch out for on etc-update is checkroot. You can download the files that you shouldn't replace from the main site.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Tyr

Post by Tyr »

So you're saying that emerge system will download some configs that if allowed to overwriite with etc-update it will kill some Shallax / Xbox specific settings?

But if you don't merge the configs it sound work ok and be the newer version of whatever it installed (emerge system)?

This makes sense to me, I just want to be sure I understand you correctly.

Thanks

PS I thought about manually merging the configs and leave anything that exists already and only add new content from the new config to the old config. Do you think that would work? Or is it as waste of time?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The problem with the config files is that some need to be updated. There is a list of definate nos in the tutorials section apart from that you're fairly safe. If in doubt make a backup of the files first then merge the ones you think need updating and check everything still works (reboot) before deleting the backup.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?