Home v3.0 and Magic

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
lotw
Pro

Home v3.0 and Magic

Post by lotw »

I ran Magic yesterday and it sort of thrashed the machine. When it completed download and installing software, which took forever, the video was gone. I used the XBVSET to fix that but also the keyboard and mouse/controller where not working and it locked when running XFree.

I did a native install and it is working perfect without the Magic updates.
lotw
Pro

Well I tried again

Post by lotw »

Well I erased the Xbox HD, re-installed Gentoox Home v3.0. Setup some shares then ran Magic again. It downloaded and install who know what, took like 4 hours and it wasnt from downloading. When it finished Samba no longer worked, nor did the Webadmin. Also the video was still screwed even with that new XBVSET being forced. Overscan was horrible and was perfect before the update. Also there was no way to leave Xwindows anymore, logging out just re-ran Xwindows, instead of going to the shell. If you did the ALT-CTRL-Backspace it would shutdown XWindows then re-run it automatically.

I think you need to ask what the user wants to be installed from Magic instead of forcing garabe that messes things up. I don't want Gnome, KDE was working just fine. Also should have a question when installing about that virtual keyboard, yes or no. I don't need nor want it.

Other then that v3.0 is great. Stay away from updating till it gets all sorted out. Now for re-install #3.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I don't want Gnome, KDE was working just fine
Then its just as well magic doesnt install Gnome...

Magic works fine for me... so I dont know what the problem could be....
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

ShALLaX wrote:
I don't want Gnome, KDE was working just fine
Then its just as well magic doesnt install Gnome...

Magic works fine for me... so I dont know what the problem could be....
Have you actually started from a fresh install since you game out with v3 home? Try and install Home v3, then run magic from root, it downloads who knows what. When it finishes the video has bad overscan and has a new user logon screen. The main problem I have with that is no more shell, if you terminate or log off Xfree is reboots back to Xfree. Also the services (IE: Samba, Webadmin) after the magic no longer start.

I am using the Xbox as a fileserver, not for a user. If I leave it as is, from the Home v3.0 install it works perfect. All the Windows PCs have no problem getting/putting data, etc. Once of the best and easiest installs of Linux for the Xbox I have tried.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Of course I have.. ive installed Home more times than youve had hot meals.

If you knew how to use Linux properly, you wouldnt be complaining. If you want to drop back to a console (why youd want to I dont know), you could run "killall gdm" as root.

If youre using it as a fileserver, you shouldnt be using Home... Also, magic in no way touches Samba or Webmin. Im comfortably running a magic updated Home with these features still working.
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

ShALLaX wrote:Of course I have.. ive installed Home more times than youve had hot meals.

If you knew how to use Linux properly, you wouldnt be complaining. If you want to drop back to a console (why youd want to I dont know), you could run "killall gdm" as root.

If youre using it as a fileserver, you shouldnt be using Home... Also, magic in no way touches Samba or Webmin. Im comfortably running a magic updated Home with these features still working.
I found the problem with Samba, it also updates that and after it does it no longer runs automatically, at least it didn't for me.

I took your advice and installed Pro, it is much nicer for what I am doing with that Xbox. The Magic worked perfect with that one.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Goodie ;p

I guess with the next version of Home I'll have to reconfig samba.