Gentoox Loader Video Problem

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
slacker

Gentoox Loader Video Problem

Post by slacker »

Just booted up for the first time using this, and the output is garbled. The Cromwell (Xromwell, whatever!?) loader worked perfectly. I have a Conexant video encoder (v1.2 box), but I'm thinking the problem is with the HDTV pack. I'm running in standard 480i mode, however I haven't had a chance to test with standard A/V cables. I'm sure it's just a small bug, and since this was just released, not a biggie. I can still boot fine just by hitting enter. :wink:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont believe interlaced modes are supported by Xbox linux (and never have been officially). I think you need to use progressive scan. I've tested it with my X2VGA, and it works fine.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
slacker

Post by slacker »

I have no choice but to run in interlaced mode; I'm using component cables to a standard TV, otherwise I''d gladly run in a progressive mode. The reason I posted (and registered for that reason) is that the previous boot loader ran fine (the one bundled with Home v3.0c).

And to be clearer in the first post (can't tell if I was enough), video output is fine once past the bootloader. Just want to make sure that is clear. :wink:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats very odd indeed since the kernel and bootloader use the same source. Have you updated with magic?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I know why the one bundled with home 3.0c worked.... there was no code for hdtv, it just forced the output as standard PAL/NTSC regardless of the AVPACK. I fear that once you upgrade your kernel, nothing will work at all. The problem is... as soon as the driver sees an HDTV AVPACK it shoots straight to 480p.
slacker

Post by slacker »

That is the case. I updated via magic yesterday, and as predicted, all garbled. Is there anything I can do about this? I went back to the original kernel, and will look around a bit. Maybe you can point me right to the fix though.
astateofblank

Post by astateofblank »

I've found out that the problem actually needs to be fixed in the xbv that is equipped in all xbox-linux distros. The only way to fix it would be to add an option to force linux to use an interlaced mode even though an HD pack is found, as some TVs do not support anything better than 480i (such as the Sony FSxxx models).
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Or you could just use composite cables for now :\
MaDsKiLLz
Linux User

Post by MaDsKiLLz »

heh i had this problem because i loved using hdtvpack on my tv great video output. but with the latest video drivers composite cables work pretty good. alot better than before. heh i remember when focus came out and the av pack stopped working. it pissed me off so much that i hacked the old drivers together into the new kernel. just a matter of overwriting a few files. hehe probably not that easy anymore :\

your probably just stuck with composite
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

I'm having this trouble too, using component cables into a standard tv through an AVPACK (and I don't want to have to use composite cables either!!!) How do I go about reinstalling the previous kernel (the one bundled in with home 3.0c) into my current installation. I've got a lot of stuff in it again now and I don't want to lose it all (again!) Admittedly, only through pure linux n00b ignorance!

Pobster
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

just extract the files in distro.rar and replace the vmlinuz on your xbox with the one in the rar
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
IronChefAmerica

Post by IronChefAmerica »

I have to agree, I also output using component cables to a regular TV that just supports 480i. The picture is remarkably better with component than SVideo cables. So right now, I need to completely unplug and plug in different cables to use GentooX. I'm a complete newb to Linux (hoping to use this distro to learn new tricks), so I wouldn't begin to know where to contribute this code myself (480i support).

If someone has time, 480i Focus chip support would be greatly appreciated!