Shallax's Dreamx...

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Bucko
Power user

Shallax's Dreamx...

Post by Bucko »

Should be made as the main server =). Just a thought, shame it hasn't got 128MB ram though. Maybe thats why your original Xbox server is still serving. Just a question shallax. Who did your 128MB ram upgrade. I asked my Dad to see if he could do it but he said that sort of stuff is way to hard for him (although he did use a reworking station at avery berkel, shame he dont work there anymore). Also shallax you should link up all 4 xboxs as a cluster. Then you could have lots of CPU power for serving and also for Seti :). Just an idea.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No no no no.... clustering sucks. Openmosix sucks, distcc sucks, ccache sucks! They ALL cause compile errors. The DreamX doesnt have enough ram. Xbox-linux has links to ram upgraders.

Please, if I honestly thought the DreamX was good enough to be a server in its present state, I would have switched long ago.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Re: Shallax's Dreamx...

Post by Trogdor »

Bucko wrote:Then you could have lots of CPU power for serving and also for Seti :). Just an idea.
Why not use it for something useful, like Folding@Home? :P
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Ok thats cool shallax. I suppose clustering is only good with high end workstations? Well I did figure Dreamx would be bad for serving with 64MB ram but if it had 128MB of ram would you have used it as a server? Just wondering. I will check xbox-linux.org users help users thing later :).
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I reckon you'd have trouble sleeping with it on in the same room, due to it's heat problem.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

lol oh yer all shallax's boxs are in his room aint they, "the gentoox lab"
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Just a thought, has anyone else bought a dreamx on the forum? What you using it for? I bet the dreamx team are worried about the 1.6 with no ram upgrade option, bet they will have to salvage old mobos :p.
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

How stable is the server anyway? I dunno wether its worth me having to put up with an annoying hum all night.

Also I don't think my ISP would allow it. :(