someone help me!!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
jimc2305

someone help me!!

Post by jimc2305 »

I'm still a noob and I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've moded v1.4 box and got the thing running. But I really want to get Linux running. I've read the tutorials regarding putty and ftp and I think I can handle it. However, when I extract the Gentoox installer in WinRAR I'll see the bios directories and the Stardust.iso. When I extract the Stardust.iso using WinRAR all I see is the bios directories and no distro or anything. I also tried using Xiso and SimpleX iso to extract but they don't recognize the stardust.iso format. Someone please help a crazy noob!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

make sure you have the latest version of winrar the file should be called distro.rar
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
jimc2305

Ok, got the newest version

Post by jimc2305 »

I downloaded the newest version of winrar. I extracted the distro.rar and ftp'd the six files over to e:\ on the box. I boxplorered the gentooxx.xbe and all I got was a blank screen. I was waiting for the scrambled screen, like the one I got when I used the installer disk (presumably the focus chip problem) but it was just blank. I putty'd anyway and no response from the box. What next? I am downloading another gentoox installer and I'll try again, maybe it was just a bad transfer or bad extraction but I really don't know.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

WTF. On your PC extract stardust.iso from Distro.rar (gentoox home v3.0c) and burn the image through Nero Burning Rom (not as a file, as an image).

After doing this and the cdrw is burnt (burn at lowest speed and all thats stuff) insert it into your xbox and boot it up as a game.

As you have a 1.4 xbox you will need to SSH in to install (tutorials around forum for this). because you have a focus chip and it will go all blank. Also dont let stardust flash your chip. It will put XROMWELL.XBE in E:\. This is like a small app to bootup Gentoox. However I don't know if this works with 1.4 xboxs so Download the newsest XROMWELL from the downloads section (with sparkle).

Why do you want to install by FTP? CDRW install works perfectly fine. FTP tutorial in the tutorials sections on the site. Also remember to post in the right forum next time.