Read-only file system on F?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
WilliamChgo
Banned Losers

Read-only file system on F?

Post by WilliamChgo »

I've seen this problem come up now with both stardust CD install and magic, trying to install gentoox on my f: drive.

My drive is a Seagate 120Gb which I cloned my original HD to using the SmartXX OS and then formatted F. I can run apps and such from F with no problems.

I loaded Stardust bios 640x380 bin to an available 256k bank on the SmartXX and booted from there to run stardust CD.

When I was unable to get startdust to do an F install, I ran it again as an E install, and that worked.

Then I ran magic f-drive and that also gave me a message that F is a read-only file system and crashed. A subsequent boot is now resulting in a kernel panic trying erase some files on E.

Interestingly, SmartXX's Ed@chip is also giving a read-only file system error message when I try to FTP to the new F drive.

------------
Xbox version 1.3
SmartXX OS version 3246
WilliamChgo
Banned Losers

Read-only F was a SmartXX problem

Post by WilliamChgo »

OK, here's a recap:

Installed new 120Gb hard drive, cloned 1:1, formatted F with SmartXX OS.

I could not FTP things to my new F using Ed@Chip, Ed would read OK but say F was a "read-only file system" when sending things to F. However, under Avalaunch I could FTP files to F, so acceptable.

Acceptable that is, until I tried to install GentooX to F. Again, I was getting "read-only file system" messages from Stardust and Magic f-drive.

The missing step: After format F with SmartXX, format F again with FTP!

Started up Avalaunch on the Xbox, and Windows XP FTP from the dos command line (run ftp 192.168.0.xxx) worked just fine typing:
quote "site format F:"

Tested Ed@Chip and could now write to F, a good sign!
Gentoox Magic f-drive moved GentooX Linux to F, no problemo!