Great linux

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
roadrash
Pro

Great linux

Post by roadrash »

SInce using the superb Gentoox on my xbox, I have been testing out every distro I can on an old spare PC I have.
So far I have tried Lindows 4.5, Xandros 2.2, Suse 9, Mandrake 9.2 & many, many other free distro's. Just today I stumbled on a free disto called "Ark linux" and found it to be better than all the commercial disros with the exception of possibly xanros 2.2, but its close.
if your interested go here http://www.arklinux.org/ and check it out.
It still has a few bugs but i would think they will have them sorted in the next release and i personaly cant wait to see it.
Deebster

Post by Deebster »

Have you tried Gentoo yet? :)
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

Yes ive done a self install of gentoo to a PC and ive tried a live cd/distro called "Jollix". I couldnt find any good gentoo distros like Gentoox for the PC. Does anyone know of a decent one I can try?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, Gentoo :P Do a Stage1 installation, you wont regret it :D
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Deebster wrote:Have you tried Gentoo yet? :)
Great first post!
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I've played a bit with mandrake and dabbled in Redhat, but gentoo seems the way to go.

I built my Intranet server at work on a dual PIII xeon starting from stage 1 and it is rock solid stable (it now has a 2.6 kernel)

Redhat and Mandrake are good distros but they spend too much time trying to make themselves easy to use in a Windows style, but there is only so much you can do like this on a linux box. When you start having to use the command line it becomes a nightmare. Gentoo makes using a command line easy, things like named runlevels and all the init scripts.

Then there's portage, the way that it resolves the dependencies and sorts everything out is amazing.

You've got the fact that the whole distro is compiled with your choice of optimizations

Oh yeah, it's also free
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Deebster

Post by Deebster »

Trogdor wrote:
Deebster wrote:Have you tried Gentoo yet? :)
Great first post!
Hehe, well I can only successfully lurk for so long... I'd probably be more active if I hadn't broken my xbox before actually getting Gentoox on it. :cry:
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

It was using gentoox on my xbox that got me into linux.

I go to http://distrowatch.com/index.php every day to see what latest distro's have been released. My favorite after trying many is "Simply Mepis". Another interesting one is "dreamlinux". If your experimenting on an old PC try Zenwalk it uses the XFCE desktop like gentox. It would be great to see an xbox version of zenwalk.
Using linux is great fun & I look forward to the frequent new releases.