Don't you think Linux on XBOX runs slow

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.

Does linux run slow on your xbox too?

Yes
24%
Kind of
37%
Not really
39%

Total votes: 38

PeNsTeR

Don't you think Linux on XBOX runs slow

Post by PeNsTeR »

So what's your opinion?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

It depends what you do with it, because of it's lack of RAM things that should be easy for a 733 Celeron become very tricky for an xbox, I find it is very slow as a desktop PC and it makes a pretty poor compilier, however it does fine as a small web server or a file server via samba. It is also good (I'm told) as a media player. On that one I find that by the time you've turned on the xbox loaded gentoox loaded up a media player squinted to read the file name of the tracks you want to listen to you can't be arsed any more.
I reckon the three best uses for gentoox (with 64MB RAM) are

Firewall/Router
DNS server
Domain controller for a small windows NT domain (less than 200 users)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Code-X
Novice

Post by Code-X »

I think Gentoox will be Great if Shallax gets his new Xbox from friendTech. Hope they start taking UK orders :D
Code The Future
Skunkalaxy
Linux User

Post by Skunkalaxy »

I agree it's a bit slow as a desktop pc, but it works great for me. I can experiment with linux without the need of installing linux on my windows pc. I did do that twice already, but I didn't use it a lot. Now that I have Gentoox on my Xbox I've spent more hours working in linux the last couple of monts then I have in the last 3 years before I had my xbox. I also love "emerge", it makes installing/removing software a lot easier.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Skunkalaxy, if I may misquote ShALLaX:

"STOP USING KDE, AND STFW!! USE XFCE, ENLIGHTENMENT, OR *BOX INSTEAD!!"
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
VatoLoco

Post by VatoLoco »

Ye also I agree to this...Gentoox would work faster if some progs wouldn`t be used (KDE etc...). I think KDE loads to slow and this makes us think that Gentoox isn`t fast. But i must alo agreethat I didn`t have problems watching Movies with it. Playback was smooth and better than with XBOX Media Center. Also I think there are too much Progs installed which I don`t use. I would also be happy if Shallax would implement something else than KDE or only XFCE. i know, that some progz won`t work than any more, but thiz would be o.k! I aso stated a few months ago, that it would be nice to see ICEWM running instead of KDE but Shallax didn`t want to implement it. But am I right? Correct me if I´m wrong: If we would have the driver for thiz thuggin Nvidia Geforce3, Gentoox could be faster????
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

VatoLoco wrote:YCorrect me if I´m wrong: If we would have the driver for thiz thuggin Nvidia Geforce3, Gentoox could be faster????
Nope. Dead wrong. Having a hardware accelerated driver for the xbox video chip would allow us to run 3d applications (like TUX RACER!!!).
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
VatoLoco

Post by VatoLoco »

Ok then I've to update to 128 Mb of RAM...because with 64 MB the performance is too slow for me (especially KDE)
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

I think it works just fine as long as you do not use KDE.
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Another good poll. Youd be lying if you said "no", but it does largely depend on what youre doing. As a server, it runs great. I have no problems accessing this forum/ site from University. But as a desktop PC, I guess it leaves a little to be desired speedwise.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
madskillz09022
Linux User

Post by madskillz09022 »

i agree if u use kde ur gunna get a slow running gentoox. but if ur like me and u like perfection u can get around that. everytime i install gentoox i do it from a pro install, i update it through magic then install only what i need. if u use a very lightweight gui there will be no problem. i can watch my divx movies on the hard drive, over a samba share, or watch a dvd program with no problems at all. the only setbaq ive had with the xbox at all is the tv screen. so imo its really u gotta make an effort to learn about linux so u can use lightweight gui's withought fucking ur system up.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Whats with you and the crap typing all of a sudden?
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

I use it for scripting my sites and stuff. I did try and use it for GFX but its to slow and I'm not to keen on Gimp.

The speed is good, the only problem is my TV. Its not exactly that clear, even with the big font.